Cab for Ampeg 50th anniversary SVT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TechnoTurian, May 1, 2021.

1. TechnoTurian

TechnoTurian

Aug 7, 2017
    Hi guys, I recently came into some extra money from offloading some gear and I've been gassing over the 50th anniversary SVT. I know the Heritage 810 fridge would be the perfect match for it but I'd like a cab that's a bit more manageable then that. I was considering the SVT-212AV. Less than half the weight, matching silver/blue grill for looks. Do you guys think this cab would be able to handle a 300 watt tube amp ok?

freedomryder likes this.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Not cranked into the red as loud as you can possibly get it, but yeah, some players pair them up. Just know when to say when.

Erasmusman and bobyoung53 like this.
  3. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    One thing that will be very different is the SPL based on the efficiency of the cabinet.
    An SVT head into a 2x15 cabinet is not nearly as loud as through 8x10's.

4. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

I would be careful, SVT's pack a lot of punch. I would use two minimum, an SVT cab has the cone area of about 3 1/2 15"s.

Rich67 likes this.
  5. Slpbass81

Slpbass81

Dec 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Endorsing: GHS Strings
    I purchased the 212av to pair with my svt-cl the day it came out. Since I have played 600+ gigs with it and love it. The 810 only comes out for corporate events.

I usually run 5 gain and 8 master through it with no issues. I have gone up to 10 master but never past 5 gain because the knob broke off and never fixed it. Still sounds as good as it did day one.

freedomryder and Rich67 like this.
  6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    The 212AV is rated for 99db compared to the 100db of the 810, not much drop off at least on paper. Running my SVT into a pair of the 112AV was plenty loud and in part motivated me to sell my 810.

freedomryder likes this.
  7. Rich67

Rich67 Gold Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2019
    North of Austin, TX
    It's a great amp (the 50th). I use mine with a pair of Oranges. Mini 2x10 and a 1x15.

The cab you're looking at is a stunner and has the 4 ohms you'd need. (if memory serves no 8 ohm options on the SVT 50th). For the reasons you state, and because it looks b*tchin', I would totally go for it.

Crud, I may do the same thing. TB strikes again...

Erasmusman likes this.
  8. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

No SVT will run at 8 ohms, only 2 and 4, I have done it in the past with no problems for the head though but it lacked volume, in fact I had several people say I should get it checked when I was doing that, I think the power tubes wore out faster too. What I did was cut an SVT cab in half to make 2 8 ohm 410 cabs but plugged them into both outputs, on older SVT's the impedance is automatic, if you plug in one cab it uses the 4 ohm tap if you plug in two cabs it uses the 2 ohm tap, what I finally did was get a mono adapter from Radio Shack, two 1/4 inch female plugs into one 1/4 male output and plugged it into the main output.

9. Get two matching 8-10s for the real fun.:hyper:

You don’t need to bring them both to every gig.;)

10. fourstringburn

fourstringburn Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2009
    New Mexico
    Check Ampeg spec's, looks good to me!

Screenshot (24).png