Cab for Ampeg B1-RE Head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BenGlyde, Jun 21, 2021.

Tags:
  1. BenGlyde

BenGlyde

Jun 21, 2021
    A friend is giving me his Ampeg B1-RE head. From the bit of searching of done on this forum, I know this head is *not* well-loved. That's ok. It's free to me! I am looking for a cab to match that I can use for practice and lo-fi recording. No gigs (probably), and no massive volume levels needed. Something in the neighborhood of $200 or $250 for a cab would be great, though I could go up slightly.

I am not experienced with matching heads to cabs at all. Any help appreciated. I'd like to go with an Ampeg cab *without* a horn. Play most 4-string rock stuff. Really just need a nice low end sound. Maybe one of these?

Ampeg SVT-210AV Micro Classic
    Ampeg SVT410HE 4x10 800W (used)
    Ampeg Classic Series SVT-410HEN
    Ampeg BXT410HL4 (used)
    Ampeg Bxt-115hl4 (used)
    Ampeg B25B (used)

Thanks!

2. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    Hi BenGlyde; welcome to TalkBass.

The short answer to your question is any of them will technically work, but they may or may not sound good to you.

I tend to like the Ampeg sound vs others, and have a few Ampeg cabs myself (810, V4 4x12, and 2x svt210av). I personally have found the SVT line good for a rock-ish tone.

If I were in your shoes, for the $, I would gravitate toward the SVT 410s as best volume for the buck with a possibility of the 210 for portability, if that is a concern. It was for me which is why I have the cab assortment I do.

Good luck!

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022