1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cab for Ampeg PF-50T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mo Boogs, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    After the holidays I’m planning on getting an Ampeg PF-50T. I’ve done some research back and forth between the PF-50T and the Micro VR and it sounds like the 50T is going to have the tone and power I want. Now I’m trying to figure out which cab I should get to match this amp. I primarily use an American Standard P-bass with a maple fretboard and also have a Gibson T-bird. I’m going to be using this amp for band practice, living room gigs and just jamming around the house. I’ll be doing mostly classic rock with this rig but also some funk, soul and some bass and acoustic guitar jam sessions. Folks who own these amps, what have you found to be the best cabinet to use? @JimmyM mentioned he likes the 12” cab in my other post. I just want to make sure if I was to go with something like that, it’d work with the applications I plan on using it with. I’ve already got a V4-B with 212AV for my regular gigs so I’m set there.

johnpbass likes this.
  2. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    I use my PF115HE with my PF50T.
    They really work together rather nicely.
    A very organic, natural tubey sound.
    Modern vintage if you will. Very Motown, Blues, Country and Hardrock friendly, IMHO.
    But the amp gives you modern funk sounds too.
    It's the V4B with half the power, but with more features (for instance 5 way mid selector vs the 3 way mid selector on the V4B).

But, PF115HE, loud enough for me for rehearsing and gigging with a band (if there's p.a.).
    I am positive the PF112HLF will sound great too, only gives you less volume.
    (and with your V4B / 212AV stack you'll be prepared for anything, IMO)

AstroSonic and johnpbass like this.
  3. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    PF 112HLF would be a great choice if you're looking to go more compact cabinet wise, PF115HE also a great choice. I would throw the 112AV into the options mix since you like the tone of the 212AV.
    Lots of great options!

freedomryder and High Camp like this.
  4. I own a PF50T. In the modern PF line, I have a F112HLF, a PF210HE, and a PF115LF.

Based on how you say you will use your amp, I recommend the PF112HLF, (or two).

You really can't go wrong with any of the other PF cabs, (I have not tried the 410 though).

One or two SVT210AV cabinets might work for your purposes as well. (I bought a couple of them used, one as low as 150$).

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    johnpbass and High Camp like this.
  5. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    What’s the difference in sound between the 112HLF and the 112AV?

6. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    I haven't played one, but the description is that it has a rolloff so not as much low end as the PF115 or PF210 and is physically smaller. I've played through both of those and they are both great cabs. I used to have a PF210HE. My thought was that if you like the 212AV, the 112AV would be a good option for a smaller rig.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  7. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

I've been intrigued with the idea of stacking two PF112HLF cabs with a PF-50t on top. Haven't purchased the cabs or even seen anyone else with this set up but it seems like it could be a cool modular rig.

johnpbass likes this.
  8. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    Are the PF cabs ported and the AV cabs not? I believe the 210AV cab is sealed.

9. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    112AV is ported but sounds more like a sealed cab.

10. hopturn

hopturn

Sep 19, 2010
    Charleston, SC
    i've been running my ampeg pf50-t with an older Genz-Benz shuttle combo's 12 inch cab...the one that originally came with the shuttle 6.0 combo. i took the brackets off the top (still use the shuttle 6.0 head occasionally with two TC electronic 2x10's as a vertical stack), and kinda "hang" the head off the top, front edge of the cab...so that i can use the cab's ability to rock back using the the little legs that pops out...BEST AMP COMBO I'VE EVER USED in 25 years of playing. all the delicious tube tone and responsiveness, plus there's no need for a REDDI or other expensive DI box unless you just like owning lots of gear. yesterday, i ran my little rig against an incredible drummer, electric guitar, and two piece horn section...and had to turn my stage volume DOWN. i've had multiple SVT's, a V4B (the reissue), Fender Super Bassman (reissued silver face), Genz-Benz, Eden, etc. this is my amp combo for 90% of all gigs now.

my only issue is that i'm carrying the PF50-T in an old QSC K8 bag, which fits nicely but doesn't offer much in terms of protection for road shows. thinking about buying the Portaflex 15 inch cab to use as a cab/road box!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    johnpbass likes this.