1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

cab for carvin bx1200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Patrick1308, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Patrick1308

Patrick1308

Dec 24, 2008
    So i recently got a bx 1200 and now i need a good cab to go with it.

and can someone help me with how the amp bridge works, i dont wanna ruin my cabs!

2. SteveD

SteveD

Feb 20, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Check the manual if you want to bridge. I run my BX1200 into an Aguilar GS112 and an Avatar BR210 Neo. Vertical stack with Ag on the bottom. I use the biamp feature and set the crossover at about 200Hz. The Ag takes the lows. Band mates raving about the tone. Massive bottom with definition. I'm running a Bass POD into the effects loop using the SVT sim plus a touch of the Danish Driver effect. Thunderous. Stock 63 Jazz in front, strung with Sunbeams.

3. Patrick1308

Patrick1308

Dec 24, 2008
    thanks for the help,

i have two old cabs both carvin, a 4x10 and a 1x18 that i got from my cousin when i got the amp, they were already kind of blown out but i made it a lot worse because i didnt know how to use my amp very well and i was running them both bridged.

im thinkin about going for the 8x10 from carvin. but i am still unsure about what the bridge does, and the manual that came from carvin isnt to great.

i am also thinking about getting the 18 speaker replaced while i save up to get the 8x10.

4. Carvin BRX10.4 Neo, excellent cab, a little pricey, but well worth the money.

102_0028.

5. Check the ohm ratings on the speaker cab's you have. The 4 x 10 should be 8 ohm, the 18 could be 4 or 8 ohm. If it is a 4 ohm this combination cannot be used bridged with the BX1200. The BX1200 (bridged) is designed to be used with a 4 ohm load, minimum. 2-8 ohm cabs are ok (would give you a total 4 ohm load) but anything else is asking for trouble.

FYI, the BX1200 contains 2-600 watt power amplifiers. The head can be used bi-amped (each power amp working separately, 1 for higher frequencies, the other for lower frequencies). "Bridging" means combining both power amps into 1 big power supply. If you want to used the amp bridged an 8x10 would certainly work. But for portability to gigs & such, vinx's suggestion of the 4x10 brx is probably best. :bassist:

6. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I'd go for two BR410Neo cabs. Easier to haul than the 810 cab, or wait till Carvin runs out of the old drivers, and makes an 810 Neo!! Thats what I am waiting to see.

7. Patrick1308

Patrick1308

Dec 24, 2008
    okay so only use it bridge if you have an 8 ohm cab?

and you plug the speaker cable into the bridge only output on the amp?

8. Patrick1308

Patrick1308

Dec 24, 2008
    oh and would the 4x10 from carvin without neo drivers be alright?

i live in san diego and i can just go up to the factory, so i think thats where i will buy my cab

9. jaybass58

jaybass58

Mar 31, 2009
    chicago
    there is a pushbutton on the back that switches it to bridge mode...try two 4x10 cabs that handle 600 ea.at 8 or 4 ohms,and DONT bridge it,and dont use the biamp mode either,just run it full range x 2...the crossover volumes will still work but you wont lose the mids that are missing in biamp mode !!!

10. I've got the SBR1018 and use to use the BR410 with the BX1200, it gets you buy, but compared to the BRX10.4 neo cabinet the BR410 doesn't even come close. The BRX10.4 has so much more depth, warmth and deep bottom, plus it's a 4 ohm cab with 1200 watt handling capacity.

11. Patrick1308

Patrick1308

Dec 24, 2008
  12. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Listen to vinxbass.... skip the BR410 and go for the BRX10.4 ...its well worth the price difference

13. jaybass58

jaybass58

Mar 31, 2009
    chicago

what I was getting at is-when you are not bridged,using the biamp mode causes a loss of mids between the two cabinets.you can still use the two volume controls but leave the biamp switch off...I use a 8 ohm 600 watt trace elliot 4x10 and a 600 watt 8 ohm bugera aluminum cab,and the amp sounds better full range than in biamp mode,and both speaker volume controls still work like it was biamped but it takes the crossover out of the mix...I bought my bx1200 because I thought I wanted a biamped system,but now that I've had it a couple of months,I realize I like it better as dual full range with the ability to control separate cabinet volumes...good luck...

14. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    I'm running my BX1200 bi-amped into a BR118-N and BR210-N. Both 8 ohms, to make it possible to put a second identical set if I need the volume for demolition purposes. (If I were doing it again, I'd replace the BR210-N with a BRX210-Neo, but what I have now is far from sucky).

Unless you really need all 1200 watts, I'd recommend you run bi-amped and use the BX1200's active crossover. It makes it a lot easier to balance the sound between the two cabs.

15. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I have two Dr. Bass cabs and run in bi-amp mode because it just sounds so sweet and my cabs are different (one sub-like cab and one 3-way). I only wish I ordered 4 ohm cabs (instead of 8 ohms) so I could run my BX1200 at 2 x 400w instead of 2 x 275w.
    My ideal stack (IMO) would be a Dr. Bass 115LF plus a 1260 Slant (each 4 ohms). Then I'd set the CROSSOVER FREQ real low to get that 115LF nice and deep. Otherwise I would go with Carvin's BRX410 and a BRX210 for a monster 6x10 stack that could also be run in bi-amp mode at 400w x 2.
    Bridging the amp gives you tons of clean power but it also eliminates some of the coolest features of the amp, features which give the amp some very sweet tones.

16. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    You do NOT need to set the crossover switch when not in BRIDGE mode but doing so enables the X-OVER functionality. You need to set the BRIDGE switch (back) on when daisy chaining your cabs from the single BRIDGE speaker output. Two 8 ohm cabs chained in BRIDGE mode gives you the head's full 1200w.

17. Patrick1308

Patrick1308

Dec 24, 2008
    okay i'm starting to get it. i should have researched this before i bought the amp....

but anyways, thanks for all the advice and its really helping.

18. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    The other important questions:

- how much are you wanting to spend?

- do you want the biggest setup for your $ right away or something smaller but higher quality that you can add to as additional cash becomes available?

19. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    What's great about VINX's cab is it's got plenty of power as a standalone cab and it's worth more than the money you pay.
    It can handle BRIDGE mode on the head and since it's a 4 ohm cab, you'll be pushing the whole 1200w thru it. That's a sick amount of focused power.
    Later, when you have some more bucks, you can add the BRX 210 and you'll have all sorts of options.