1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cab for Carvin MB10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fusionfan, May 17, 2011.

1. fusionfan

fusionfan

Sep 5, 2010
    I just ordered a Carvin MB10 and am now looking for an extension cab. I'm leaning toward a basic (inexpensive) 2X10 that I can stand on end and have the MB10 sideways on top.

Any opinions on the TC Electronics BC210?

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Best policy is to add more of the same kind of speakers, ie: a carvin 210 with the same speakers as are in the combo

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    It's bigger than what you'd probably want, but I paired my MB12 up with a Hartke HyDrive 410 at a gig a few weeks. It sounded quite pants.

4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
  5. TBassEurope

TBassEurope

Feb 24, 2008
    Germany
    Combining the combo with a 2x10 cabinet will result in different load of the three drivers: The 2 drivers in the 210 have to share their 125 watts (63 watts for each of them), while the combo's single speaker will be driven by 125 watts.
    So a 1x10 extention cabinet could be a better choice.

Second, but not as important, for my taste, to drive a bigger setup (3x10inch and more) the amp's 250 watts power is not that big.

6. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    The question that hasn't been asked yet is whether we're looking for the same tone as the MB10 or whether we're looking to fatten up the bottom end significantly. (Actually, any cab at all will improve on the MB10's bottom end, so it's just a matter of deciding on how far you want to go in this regard.)

The comment on MB10 driver count vs extension cab driver count is n/a in this particular case. It would have merit if you were contemplating adding, say, a single twelve to a 2x12 combo, but we have the reverse situation here because the final configuration is inherently crippled by that single ten about which you can do nothing.

7. fusionfan

fusionfan

Sep 5, 2010
    Thanks for all your replies.
    To give a little more info, I would like a little more volume, but am considering an extension cab (of any configuration) primarily to help with the bottom end. To add a little breadth and fullness.

I currently have an SWR LA15 that is fine, but has very limited features. I only play a four string Schecter Riot (neckthru, similar to an Elite) with Tomastic Flatwounds. I have no idea if that matters, but just in case. http://tb1.talkbasscdn.com/smilies/colors/confused.gif

8. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Consider an Avatar B212, then. It won't give you the Vogue cover-worthy line array you're looking for, but it'll totally transform that micro by giving it orders of magnitude more bottom end while adding lots more volume capability. From time to time I run my MB15 with a B212 (see details in the "Carvin Micro bass amp" thread -- I might have botched the thread title a bit). From a technical perspective, yes, an MB10+B212 does break a couple of rules, but keep in mind that your amp's on-board driver probably doesn't even show up for work below 150-200 Hz, let alone do anything meaningful, and so will interfere little if at all from there down-frequency. I guarantee you'll be shocked at how good the MB10+B212 combination sounds. For a smaller payload, consider the SB112. Would the B210 work? It, too, would be a huge improvement over the Micro's ten alone; I'm just not sure it'll go low enough to satisfy you. My guess is that it would, but I have no personal exposure to that cab, nor do I know what sort of low-end extension you're after. Might be worth chasing down a few B210 reviews in this forum before you decide.

Of course, whatever you decide on, make sure you specify eight ohms.

9. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I used a single 12”, 3-way cab as an extension to my MB10 and it sounded great. Kept up with my rock band on 4 (of 10).
    I agree, an Avatar SB112 would also do the trick.

10. MLC_BassPlayer

MLC_BassPlayer Gold Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Apex, NC
    Any thoughts on an MB10 paired with a tweeterless 115?

11. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I'd give that a green light.