Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab for Head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassline_Delux, Dec 24, 2003.

1. What cab would you suggest for a 300W Bass Head?
    (4 Ohms). I was thinking a 4x10 (Maybe 4x12 - Don't know where to get em' though) And hopefully cheap. Thanks.

2. A 4x10 would probably do you just fine. Depending on the music you're playing, look into 1x15's or a small cabinet with a 15 a 10 and a horn. For 300 watts, pushing any more than 4x10's will be too much, in my opinion. For a more round tone, look into 2x12.

For inexpensive cabinets, check out Ampeg, Peavey, and definitely Carvin. Many people on this board use Avatar cabs.

3. Avatar, Hartke VX cabs are crap! Avatar is the way to go, I use a 30W practice amp and it sounds good(BUT it's only 30W) so it doesn't take a lot of watts if you're careful...The 4x10 is the one I have...Carvin are bottomless(Litterally no bottom in the sound) and they're over power rated and over priced...Get an avatar, you'll not be sorry...

Peace
    DWB :bassist:

PS Did I mention Avatar?

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Eww, carvin. :spit:

5. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  6. i say go 4x10 or mabey a 2x10 and a 1x15 and go wiht avatar they are the best value around. i personally amd planing on getin a 2x10 to add to my 1x15 and i have a 400 watt head i think that will be a killer setup.

7. Ya, I Play a Five String.

Listen, ya, Avatar look great, but unfortunatly I live in the UK...They ship to U.S. and Canada only..So that sucks...

You see the thing is I haven't actually bought the head yet either, I'm thinking of getting the Behringer Ultrabass BX3000T 300W Bass head. I'd never heard of it, however its dirt cheap really, and what I have heard now, is really good..

Man..I've been on this endless search for Gear(Amp+Cab) for soo ****ing long now...Man. I have like £500 (850$) And I've been floating around around for ages...

8. That was special.

[​IMG]

I happen to use the 410 and 115 Hartke Cabs and I like them. They sound great when Biamped with my SVT.

FWIW, Will Lee uses them too, and he likes his 410 as much as I do.

This is his rig.
    [​IMG]

http://www.willlee.com/gigbag.php

30 watts, wow that is really a lot of power.

Wait a minute, I thought you said you had a 30 watt practice amp, now you have a 410 Avatar, wow another cheap piece of ****, oh, sorry, I shouldn't have typed that either........

Maybe you should think before you type, offer what you know and leave it at that........

BTW, your profile needs to be updated......(Peavey 15 & Homemade JBL Loaded 15)

[​IMG]
    Treena

9. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Avatar is only rated down to 50HZ, so I would not use an Avatar cab by itself for a 5 anyway. I have seen mixed reviews of Behringer, I have read that they had some quality control issues, so try before you buy might be a safe bet.

For $850, you could get a Hartke 3500 or 4000 and a 410BXL cab. Good Luck

10. Thanks, ya, I was thinking of getting the HA3500 and a 410XL, but that was my research..I was comign on here to see if anyone had better suggestions...Is HArtke really worth the cash?

11. I am a huge Hartke XL fan and user. They are worth the money to me.

I have not cared much for the Amps but the 4.5 XL -( 4x10 with HF Driver XL) Series Cabinet, rocks my world.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=34&brandID=3

[​IMG]
    Treena

12. Ya, I know..I was droolign over it the other day..So you think I should spend that eXtra cash. Its worth it the 4.5XL?

13. I think so, Yes! I have been using mine for several years now and I have had no problems at all.

I gig 5 to 6 nights a week when I'm not touring. I also use my cabs in the studio, they are the best in my book!

I have a tendency to stay with a product unless I have a problem with them, so far no problems.

[​IMG]
    Treena

14. VellaBass

VellaBass

Aug 29, 2003
    London, UK
    Hi Bassdeluxe - I'm in London too and have just bought a new rig, for £550. I got a used Warwick Profet IV (400W) for £350 and a new Ashdown 210 cab for £200. I'll add a 1x15 when I have the budget. Gives me good punchy sound in rehearsal and on stage, and has a good, clean post EQ DI out for the PA.

If you haven't done so, check out the Ashdown kit at Sound Control in the Oxford St Virgin store. Good kit, competitive proces at the moment - I think you can get a nice 300W combo in your budget, or a Mag head and cab(s)

Don't buy a Behri - there's a reason they are so cheap and a search here will reveal plenty of distress stories from Behri owners.

15. I was stating the 30W instance from the perspective of "It doesn't take an ass load of power to drive an Avatar, even though it's 1400W RMS"

Will Lee uses 4.5XL cabs, not VX cabs, there is a HUGE difference in the manufacture and quality of the two.The VX is the bottom side of Hartke's cabs.I stated that "crap" comment as my opinion, I think about what I type enough to know that It may be misinterpreted, and as I see it, I can talk all day, and it won't change your opinions of me, what I said or of your own intelligence.
    I state my opinions in the form of statements, wether or not you choose to take them as opinions.

Marley's Ghost: The Avatar's are only spec'd to go to 50, Dave spec's his cabs conservativly, IMO, I play 5's and 4's, and it plays the B sting pretty good for specs at 50hz, it's a little weak on the B and C but C# D and D# are all strong and tight...

My 2¢

Peace
    DWB :bassist: