1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cab frequency response and musical pitch - how does it go together? (A dumb question)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AntekStalich, Nov 30, 2010.

1. As far as I can remember, the frequency of an open B string is 31.5 Hz and of open E string it is 40 Hz. A good 212 cabinet may have e.g. 53 Hz (-3 dB) low frequency response, and a 410 cab could have 36 Hz (-3dB).

I assume that beyond that point the response curve at low frequencies could be quite steep. How it comes that people play B or E and the low tone is still pleasantly audible? Could anybody give me a simple practical explanation?

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
  3. Plstrns

Plstrns

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    What Jimmy said, and 36-53Hz is substantial damn it.

4. Thank you, Greenboy, for directing to the right thread. Very interesting reading, indeed. Explains why we need an Upright Bass to get the upright bass tone.

My doubts resolved. Thank you again.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Could, but very few do. Most cabs have F3s in the 50 to 60hz range, no matter what the driver size. They don't need to go lower because electric bass is all about harmonics, not fundamentals.
    DB has even less fundamental content than electric. One could very nearly duplicate DB tone with a fretless electric by using the same type of emulating software used for guitars, it's just a matter of doing the programming.

6. Yes, I have already figured this out after reading the extensive thread mentioned by Greenboy. What is great, Green not only passed the link, but also gave the layman a short instructive explanation. You're great, guys.

In other words - no worries, a good cab will do its work. Good!