1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

CAB GETTING A LITTLE "SOFT"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowphatbass, Nov 6, 2010.

1. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    It seems like after a couple years of consistent and hard service my 1212L is sounding a little less clean and a little less full, it's subtle. I've also experienced this with other cabs in the past.
    There's no blown drivers(nothing sounds blown, I haven't ohm'd anything or performed any DMM checks), every screw and every component is secure, there's nothing structurally wrong with the cabinet. The cones are clean and dry.

I'm curious, the blowing of drivers is pretty well understood, but what about drivers "wearing-out" or "wearing-down" over time?

I know that we bassists can become almost over-familiar with the tone of our cabinets over a period of time while our tastes are simultaneously drifting gradually. I'm sure this is part of the equation, but I'm also sure my cab sounds different than it did a year ago.

Any thoughts??

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I'm quite certain they can, as they are just a mechanical component. The question for me would be, how many hours can you expect to put on it before it changes drastically? How many before replacement is a very good idea?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i've seen speakers made 40 years ago that have had a lot of use and still sound great today, so it's not impossible to keep one working indefinitely if you treat it right. but if you rough them up by pushing them past what they can safely take, it's possible to do mechanical damage to them without actually frying them.

4. WingKL

WingKL

May 12, 2007
    Maybe the cab is getting more flexible. Is it internally cross braced?

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Drivers continue to break in throughout their lifespan. The result is they go lower but also lose some edginess in the mids.