Cab handling more watts than it is rated at?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by murpbrad, Dec 9, 2004.

1. murpbrad

Dec 1, 2004
    Abilene, TX
    i'm looking at getting an 8 ohm 2x12 cab to use with a QSC PLX 1602 power amp. the cab is rated at 1000 watts RMS, but the 1602 puts out 1100 watts at 8 ohms bridged. it would only give me 300 watts at 8 ohms if i used only one channel. i would really like to have the extra headroom if possible. i don't plan on turning the amp up to a terribly high volume, i would only be using the 2x12 as a stand alone cab in smaller situations. in bigger situations i would have a 2x10 (8 ohms, 700 RMS) as well, making it 4 ohms. the 1602 puts out 1600 at 4 ohms bridged, so i would be ok there right?

will the 2x12 alone work? is it a bad idea?
  2. it'll work fine if you bridge for the 1100 watts....go for it.
  3. Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    You'll be fine... Just watch your pre-amp gain so that you don't clip it... Your ears should tell you if there's trouble brewing...

People around here talk of running 2 x RMS with no problems at all..

4. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Well, I've been running a PLX2402 bridged (capable of 2400 watts) into a cab rated at 850 watts and I'm a little nervous but in your situation you are ok.
  5. dont

Jul 25, 2004
    I run a Crest Pro 8200 with 1450 watts a side into four ohms into two Genz-Benz NeoX212t's, each rated at 600 watts; it works great. Clipping, from lack of headroom, is what usually fries speakers.
  6. running with headroom is always a good thing, then you can get great volume with having to work your amp very lightly. the amp likes this and as long as you don't crank the thing up all the way your cabs will like this too. if you are putting too much power into a cab you will hear it right away, just stop immediatly and turn your gain down.
  7. _Unregistered_

Nov 3, 2004
    Studio engineers have historically put tons of wattage into their nearfeilds without cooking them. Why? Headroom. You don't tend to run them at full throttle, and the wattage is there just to deliver clean transients.

As was said above, your ears will tell you if there's anything amiss. Generally speaking, you can run a chunk of juice into a driver, so long as it's a clean signal...but get into clipping, and you start frying things.
  8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I push 1200 watts into a cab rated for 500. No problems here, and I have been doing it for a couple of years now.

9. There's a huge difference between powering a 500W rated cab with a 1200W amp and actually putting 1200W into the 500W cab...

10. yep, actually putting 1200W into a 500W cab (unless on a very short transient) will fry your speaker pretty sure...
  11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yup, just don't diem the amp and you'll be ok. I "overpower" my cabs, but i listen very carefully to hear if i'm overdriving them. I also reccomend doing some experiementing with the amp to find out at what settign the speaker begins to distort, and make a mental note of it for a rough guideline.