1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cab+head or combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LDonnie, Sep 23, 2008.

1. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    Couldn't find anything through the search function.

I've been considering buying an combo amp for around €1000,-. Though I figured that in this pricerange, it might be an idea to orientate on a combination of cabinet+head.

What is better value for money?
    Sorry if I'm incomplete on information, I will edit my first post when questions arise.

EDIT: The combo's I am considering are an Ampeg BA210(SP or not, don't know the exact difference, but will figure it out later) or a Gallien-Krueger 400RB-IV/210. I have yet to play a Gallien-Krueger though.
    I really like the sound I get out of Ampeg, though I want a brighter sound like EBS, but with the rocking sound of Ampeg ofcourse. I heard GK gets close to this, but again, I have yet to confirm this myself. For transportability, it should be able to be moved from a room upstairs to downstairs. It can have a bit of weight, but it shouldn't be backbreaking. This also makes cab+head appeal to me because you can move both parts seperately. It's not really that important though.

2. I would say: go for a head and cab ... it is more flexible, easier to upgrade later on.
    Combo's are handy 'cause you have that all-in-one-feel. But with the price bracket of 1000 euro I think you can get a nice head and a decent cab or two ...

But what are the combo's you are considering? What are you looking for in sound, transportability, ...

3. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    The combo's I am considering are an Ampeg BA210(SP or not, don't know the exact difference, but will figure it out later) or a Gallien-Krueger 400RB-IV/210. I have yet to play a Gallien-Krueger though.
    I really like the sound I get out of Ampeg, though I want a brighter sound like EBS, but with the rocking sound of Ampeg ofcourse. I heard GK gets close to this, but again, I have yet to confirm this myself. For transportability, it should be able to be moved from a room upstairs to downstairs. It can have a bit of weight, but it shouldn't be backbreaking. This also makes cab+head appeal to me because you can move both parts seperately. It's not really that important though.

4. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    That VT sure looks interesting. Thanks for the tip, it might be my ticket to combining my preferences without throwing too much money.
    Anyone else got something on the topic combo vs cab and head?

5. a head and cab is also more versatile in that its cheaper to get a new cab than a whole new combo or new head etc.. so you will have more flexability when the time comes to upgrade. you also have the option of adding another cab if you go with a head and cab option which is perfect for when you gig larger venues.

6. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    not sure how you searched, but this topic has been done many times on TB.

Basically, the viewpoints seem to boil down to this:

Head + Cab: more flexible, but usually larger, need to haul both to play

Combo: lighter, more portable, but limited in terms of expandability. possible overall sound quality issues

Personally, I think modern combo's are great. They fit my personal needs very well.
    Expandable: no problem, just add an extension .. not much different than a head + cab arrangement
    Portable: running from 18lbs (GB Shuttle T's) to 50lbs (Aguilar, Trace, Mesa etc.), combos facilitate a one trip load-in/out
    Sound Quality: Modern pro quality combo's are not the dinky, underpowered practice rigs of days past. Ampeg, Trace, Aguilar, Mesa, even Fender all make great sounding combo's with all the features a modern bassplayer wants/needs

Of course, ultimately you have to decide what you like and what fits your needs.

A player showing up for a earsplitting metal band audition with a GK150 (and a boutique Jazz Bass) might be laughed out of the room. Of course, a cat showing up for a jazz trio gig with a fridge (and a vintage 80's lighting bolt shaped bass) would also likely get the same treatment.

good luck

7. I don't have much to back this up..

Go with the cab+head
    More options, and I don't know what you need it for, but you could always make stacks