1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cab+Head VS. Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RufusII, Mar 26, 2013.

1. RufusII

RufusII

Mar 26, 2013
    Hey guys, I'm new to this forum but I've doing research for a new amp and thought I could use advice from bassists, especially more experienced ones. I'm looking at Fender Rumble 150 Bass Amp Head + Fender Rumble 410 4x10 Bass Speaker Cabinet 4 Ohms VS. Fender Rumble 350 2x10 Bass Combo Amp Black. I'm looking in terms of most bang for buck in tone and power. The Cab+Head is $550 total and the combo is $500. I'm also open to any other suggestions, thanks guys!

2. Combo's are cute, but you will most likely out grow their limitations quickly. I suggest you go find a used amp 300-500 watts and an 8 Ohm 410, or a 4 Ohm 215.

3. RufusII

RufusII

Mar 26, 2013
    Hey Peavey thanks for the feedback! What do you think about this cab: http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store...35-i3036775.gc ?

4. If its local to you go check it out. The 410he is pretty classic "ampeg" tone. If it suits you and nothing is wrong with it, then that isnt a horrible price (though I have seen them go for less).

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The one thing most young bassists fail to understand- wattage is far less important than speakers, and more spkrs equals more volume. Comparing a 2x10 combo amp to a rig with twice the number of spkrs is apples to oranges. Of course the 410 will have alot more volume. But in the same vein, you don't want to use up your availoable power on ONE medium sized cab, such as a 4 ohm 410. An 8 ohm 410 will be almost as loud, but leave room to add a 2nd one, to really increase your output. So, big +1 to CLPeave's 300-500 watt head paired with an 8 ohm 4x10 advice.