Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cab help - Bergantino,Epifini,EA,Aguilar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AJClone, Feb 18, 2003.

1. AJClone

AJClone

Mar 11, 2002
    Iowa
    I need a cab to hook up with my MB walkabout and I'm considering the following (big negative...I can't try ANY of these before buying). I've scoured this site for info on these but would appreciate any info on the "characteristics" as compared to each other. I play some jazz and in a church group (contemporary Christian stuff mainly) so I don't need towering sound...just smooth accurate and maybe warm (whatever the heck warm means to anyone anymore!). Here's what I'm considering, used or new:

Aguilar GS 112 (cheaper than the rest)
    Bergantino HT112
    Euphonic CXL-112
    Epifini T-112
    and of course I'm open to anything else...

I appreciate any help on this one!

AJ

2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Well, you're looking at four of the best cabinets out there, so I doubt you'd be unhappy with any of them. However, they each have their own characteristics. Trying to make a decision based soley on someone else's opinions is tough. You will find people that like or dislike each of them for some reason. Bass Player magazine did a review of 1x12 cabinets a few months back - maybe you've already read it. If not, it would be worthwhile. My favorite is the Bergantino.

JD

3. AJClone

AJClone

Mar 11, 2002
    Iowa
    I musta missed the BP reviews..I'll have to rumage back thru my issues. As far as the opinions go, I understand people have different opinions and that's ok. What I'm looking for is the characteristics that you guys observe or discern when comparing (EA has more midrange vs. Aggie has a more scooped sound, etc.). It still not science but it's all I've got at this point.

Again, thanks for any info and input.

4. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    JD is right, you're looking at the best cabs. My favorite is the Euphonic Audio CXL112, but the Bergatino might be a little easier to haul around.

MOD

5. kernpre

kernpre

Sep 12, 2002
    W. MICHIGAN
    Go Berg.

At one point I had Epi 212, 310 and Berg 212 and 310 at the same time. I did A LOT of A/B-ing. I found Berg to be more musical. When pushed, it sounded musical...not like it was being pushed.

You can't go wrong with any of those you've mentioned.

good luck

6. lowfreqman

lowfreqman

Aug 18, 2001
    behind a bass
    The Bass Player with the 1X12 reviews was the March 2002 issue. (It has MeShell NdegeOcello on the cover.)

Bass Player had good things to say about all four cabinets you mentioned. If you can't play all of these cabinets, maybe Bass Player's descriptions can help you out.

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
  8. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Try the Epifani. I find it to have a hi-fi, yet warm sound. The portability factor is pretty high, too, because of the off-center handle.

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've got the Walkabout, and I use either one or two Aggie 1x12s, depending on where I'm playing.

My main gig is a biweekly Jazz/Jump Blues gig at a restaurant/lounge, and I am more than comfortable showing up with one Aguilar 1x12. It's plenty loud for the guitar player and drummer I'm playing with, and it has a nice room filling bottom. I used to use an EA 1x8 with it, but I have been able to get the sound I want with the Aguilar.

With both 1x12s and the VBass, I can make some ridiculously thick synth sounds, and the 12s sound enormous. Using this rig, I was able to compete with a second bassist and a guitar player with 2 4x12s and a drummer.

The Bergantino 1x12 has a much more even sound than the Aguilar. I prefer the inherent warmth of the Aggie, but some people prefer the crispness of the Berg.

Honestly, the only cab I've tried with the Walkabout that I prefer over the Aggies is the Bergantino 322, but at 94 lbs, I don't even want to think about it. :D

10. I have my Walkabout paired to an Epifani T-310, I had 2 Aguilar GS112's, they were great cabs, just like the Epifani better. I play the exact same kind of music you do, mainly at church, jazz to CCM.

Here's a pic

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    I've tried 'em all, and IMHO, the Bergantino wins hands down in terms of smooth, refined, glassy, gorgeous tone. with the tube aided Walkabout, it'd be 7th heaven.

i use mine with an EA iAMP350, and simply beeyooteefoo.

[​IMG]

the Epifani is the airy, and open in a hifi sense.

the EA could prolly knock down walls.

and the Aguilar is gurgly, thick and hearty, russian beef borscht stew.

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

AHA! I KNEW that picture would be coming sooner or later.... :D

13. AJClone

AJClone

Mar 11, 2002
    Iowa
    Hey thanks for the info guys. It's all been very helpful.

AJ

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    mwhah
    MwHAhha
    MAWHAHAHA!!

[​IMG]

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I agree with Joker about the Bergie...as usual. :D But it has more headroom with this:

[​IMG] ;)

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    lol,

like my EA after a shot of steriods. :D

17. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

:mad: Why, I oughta.... if only I had a scanner, I'd post one of the same cab with an iamp800 on top - so many steroids that it's banned in most countries. :D

18. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I like the EA better. It goes deeper, louder and flatter than the others, IMHO, and at 42 lbs it's really portable too.

19. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I know spec don't tell the whole story. You really need to hear the cab. But these specs are pretty darn good. Taken from the EA site

Configuration: coaxial
    Woofer: custom Kevlar 12"
    Tweeter: 2" titanium compression driver
    Tweeter Level Control: located on rear connection panel
    Frequency Response: 38Hz to 14kHz
    Sensitivity: 103dB @1M
    Sound Pressure Level: 130dB @1M
    Power Handling: 350 watts (continuous unclipped power)
    Impedance: 8 ohm
    Connection: one 1/4" jack, one Speakon
    Size: 19"H x 17"W x 15"D
    Weight: 39 lbs.
    Handle: One integrated custom cup handle on each side

20. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I just thought that it was interesting that of the two photos in this thread that there were Berg 112's with EA heads.

I'm pretty certain I'm going to be getting a Berg HT112 in the next week or so. I'm going to be using either my Fafner or my WT-800 for my light-weight rig. I'm kinda concerned that the Fafner might not have enough juice to make that single 12 happy. The WT-800 should do just fine, bridged in the Berg.

I was figuring on getting the other Berg 112, without the tweet, to pair up. But after reading the thread that Chris had the linked to, I'm thinking that maybe I should be thinking about the CXL112 to make up that pair.

I know the discussions in that thread were quite a few months back. Is everyone thinking the same way these days after living with their stuff for awhile?