Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab Help - Epifani or AccuGroove

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Daytona, May 7, 2003.

1. Daytona

Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    I'm looking for a cab to go with an Aguilar DB-750. I need something portable and lightweight (bad back), and something that sounds full and sweet at practice volumes as well. It will be used for practice, rehearsals, and small gigs. I'm looking at the Accugroove Tri112 and the Epifani 210. Another thought is the Epifani 310 in the ultalight series which is in the same weight range -they are all under 60 lbs. I don't know how good the Neo magnet speakers are in the ultralight series relative to their ceramic counterparts. Unfortunately, I am unable to test drive any of these cabs due to my locale. Style of music is blues, rock, and a little jazz. I'd appreciate any thoughts...thanks

2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    All of the top names (Epifani, Aguilar, Bergantino, AccuGroove, Euphonic Audio, etc.) make outstanding cabinets. They all sound a little bit different, but I doubt you would be disappointed in any of them. Everyone has their favorites, but no one can determine which you will like. Try calling some of the stores that carry several of these and ask about the tonal differences. Maybe after a number of calls, you will get a sense of which you might prefer.

JD

3. Daytona

Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    Thanks JD. I've actually done what you have suggested, and the more dealers that I speak with, the more confused I get. Something that I forgot to mention in my earler post is that I play a 4 string jazz bass.

4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I guess you'll have to do what the rest of us do. Buy one and use it for a while, then sell that one to raise funds to buy another one with the hopes that you'll like it better. After you've done this three or four times, you'll discover you liked to first one best.

jd

5. :D :D

(Find a clean used Epifani. It will cost you 1/2 what the Accugroove will. And if you sell it, you don't suffer the depreciation) ;)

6. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    A friend of mine has a DB750 that he uses with the newer EA CXL112 and he loves it.

7. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I wish I had a nickel for every time I've done that:bawl:

8. Either one is going to sound great. Talk to Gard at BassCentral.com They have all of those cabinets. Tell him the type of sound your looking for. Maybe he can tell you what you need to know.

9. Daytona

Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    Thanks you all.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I had an opportunity recently to check out pretty much exactly what you are looking for. Low Down Sound in Detroit carries both Epifani and Accugroove (and Bergantino, SWR, Eden, Bag End, Ashdown, Fender, Ampeg, et al), and I went up looking for one or two very portable cabs to go along with my Mesa Boogie Walkabout head and make up my Mini Rig of Doom.:D

Well, after checking out a bunch of cabs (including the Epifani T-310 and T-210UL) I ended up getting an Epifani T-112 and a T-110UL. I liked both of these separate, but when I put them together, it was like, an epifany!;) Seriously, though, these two cabs work magic together, to my ears at least. Here is my new Mini Rig (of Doom, of course):
    [​IMG]

On the Accugroove side, they had a Tri 208, a Mini Whappo, and a Whappo, Jr. My final decision came down to the two Epi's or the Mini Whappo. They were actually very close in overall volume, range, and clarity. The Accugroove was less colored and probably slightly superior sonically (to my ears, again), but the flexibility and portability of the Epifani's won me over (and their sound was also incredible!). Still, now that I got a taste of Accugroove, I want more. I love my Mesa Boogie 4x10, but at 120 lbs, I don't love lugging it up and down steps, so it may be replaced by a Whappo, Jr. later on this summer. Two of the Tri 208's would kick, too.

In general, between Accugroove and Epifani, you will find that the Epi's kind of retain their own sound regardless of what other equipment that you use with them (and trust me, it's a good sound!), while the Accugrooves really do sound like whatever you feed into them, just louder! Meaning, more of the individual character of your instruments (and amps) will shine through. I couldn't believe how differnet my passive Gibson Thunderbird and my active Pilot 5 Deluxe sounded.

Check out Low Down Sound (www.lowdownsound.com). They have a ton of great cabs in stock - although they picked up the Bergies after I was there - and they make some killer cabs of their own.

Hope this helps, Tom.

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hey, Daytona if you happen to live in the beach community of your namesake, there actually is a place within a very short drive where you can try all those cabs out.

:D

(See my signature)