cab hiss. what is the cause?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzlovr, Mar 25, 2005.

1. jazzlovr

Mar 24, 2004
    I just hooked up a new epifani 310UL to my Eden 400wt and i'm getting a hiss from the speakers that wasn't there with the avatar 210 I was using. I'm using a passive P bass with just the head and speakers. No pedals, effects or other accessories. The hissing sound is also there w/o plugging in the bass. Looking for any thoughts on what might be causing this.
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Hiss....the ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sound is caused by the tweeter reproducing what the amp is giving it. It's interesting that your Avatar didn't do the same thing...many folks complain about the Foster tweeter hiss in Avatars.

Could it be that you have the tweeter turned up more in your Epifani for than you did in the Avatar?

If the amp has a noise gate, that might help. Perhaps it's a microphonic preamp tube in the Eden. You might want to pop the top and gently tap on the tube with your fingernail...if you hear it through the speakers or it creates are ringing sound, it's new tube time. Otherwise, the tube socket might be dirty.

Good luck!!!!
  3. The hiss was probably always there except now you're using a cab that can actually reproduce it.
  4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I wouldn't be surprised if the tweeter in the Avatar has been blown out for a long time and you never knew it.