Cab Hook-Up Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stingray4Christ, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    I did a search for this topic and couldn't find the answer I was looking for(maybe I didn't look hard enough). Let's say my head has two 8 ohm parallel outputs. If I wanted to use a 4 ohm cabinet would I have to run a cable from each output on the head to each input on the cabinet?
  2. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Nope. Just run one cable from the amp to the cab. I think what the label on your amp is implying is that if you use both outputs, they should have an 8 ohm load on each, which would be a 4 ohm total load.

In other words, do not hook up 2 4 ohm cabinets to the amp, which would give you a total load of 2 ohms. Quite a few amplifiers will fry under a 2 ohm load.

What kind of amp is it?
  3. Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    It's an Ampeg SVT-350. Right now I'm running two 8 ohm cabs with it.
  4. DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    yeah, I agree. I think its the same as on some of the Hartke heads (3500 etc). Each output should have a minimum 8Ohm impedence with the cab(s) that it is hooked up to, giving it a total of a 4Ohm load.

I hope that made sense, I'm quite tired ;)

DC :)
  5. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    you can run it either both cabs hooked to the head through the seperate outputs or the two cabs daisy chained together for the same load. either way you're safe.