Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab Hunt!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oversoul, Aug 3, 2004.

1. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Ok, so my Swr 550x is awaiting a suitable partner yet I have no idea what to purchase, I've looked into several options, from bulky 18" subs to tiny 2x10", the following are price atractive:

SWR Big Ben
    Epifani t-115
    warwick w-115 pro
    EBS neo 112

Thats not all but these seem to be on the front row, keep in mind that I am looking for somethign that will at least bring out some decent low end and doesn't start to fart when I hit something like a low A. I remember once asking if I could use a sub like the big ben as standalone ad ppl said "well, if you're into Dub", well guess what!? I'm playing Dub now :eek:

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, if you're into dub, then a standalone 15 or 18 will be ok for you.

However, the EBS neo looks like the odd-man-out:
    - EBS is known for clarity and good mid-and treble range for slap (think Marcus Miller)
    - while Neodymium is lighter, it has lower efficiency and sensitivity, so you'll need to push that harder for volume

There's a review in the Gear Reviews section:
    http://www.talkbass.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/130/sort/7/cat/28/page/1

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I know that you can't demo a Schroeder because of your location, but I will be the second to recommend them. They put out an amazing amount of low end for such small cabinets, and are plenty loud enough for any situation. If you play death metal, you might need the 410, but for any other music, one of the small cabs should be plenty.

5. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    If you do go Schroeder, tell me how's the shipping into the EU - I'm considering them a bit, too, like the 1210 or the one that has two 10s and a 12, but forgot the number combination of that... :confused:

6. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Would love to James, but unless they have a european dealer they're out of the race, cab should cost a wage to ship overseas :( (unless Brian Barrett does a special "no shipping" promo ;) )

7. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    How about Bergantino? They have a range of speaker combinations. I can push my 115 hard and have yet to make it fart out. I do use an Aphex Punch Factory compressor at hgher volumes. I did make the tweeter crackle a bit using an active NS Designs EUB but the lows were fine.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

:D sorry I missed your location! Hopefully Jorg's stuff will head overseas! I love my 1210, best I've heard :bassist:

9. USPS ships surface (4-6 weeks) for a still pretty reasonable price up to 65lbs. The 1210 solidly packed fits into that weight category. I am in the process of shipping two 1210s to England, same price as to Portugal. If you want a more detailed info please email me:JSCHRO7376@MSN.COM

Sincerely,

Jorg
    www.schroedercabinets.com

10. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The greater problem here would rather be taxes and customs fees, not just shipping. Unfortunately these raise the price by a good bit... :( sometimes living here just plainly sucks

11. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal

Mutant, shipping is not all that complicated, but the amounts involved are, just to get a general idea the swr head took 100+ dolars to ship, another 19% tax for entering the European Union, my Conklin took 300 $ for shipping!!!! I guess that something as bulky as a cab should classify as overweight cargo, therefore the costs start rising :meh:
    The only advantage you have right now is that the Euro is stronger that the Dolar, so every US amount is actually a bit less in Euros. Still worth it because I got the head for a total of about 700+ when they are selling new for 1165 in local stores.

12. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal

Will do :)

13. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I know its not complicated: I once wanted to get something shipped here from the US and when I saw the way things added up...
    But that was pre-EU, and since the EU-ascension I have made no similar attempts, and didnt know how it functions now. And anyways, I was curious to know how it would turn out

14. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    I suggest you keep an eye on the stock ratings, the higher the currency value the more we save here! Maybe someday the Euro will end up at about 3 dolars or something like that, gonna get me a plain full of gear by that time :D