1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cab is buzzing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by leehinson, Oct 31, 2010.

1. leehinson

leehinson

Jul 18, 2010
    I got a mesa powerhouse 4X10 that ive had for almost 4 months. Its started making a buzzing noise but its not overbearing its just noticeable. it does it mostly on the higher strings and the low B string still comes in nice and clear. Could this be a setup problem on my bass. I run a hartke ha 3500 through the cab and ive never turned it up past 3 on the volume. I wouldnt think that would damage the speakers especially in the short time ive had it. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. Two random thoughts...

- someone else here had a similar problem and found that at least one of the spade connectors to a driver weren't as tight as they could be

- check that the driver mounting screws are all down nice and snug

3. leehinson

leehinson

Jul 18, 2010
    this might sound dumb but where exactly would I find those screws. On the front of the speakers?

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    the connectors would be on the rear, mounting screws on the front.

5. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    That kinda sounds like it might be coming from the Tweeter. Does adjusting your horn level control settings change the intensity of the buzzing sound?

6. leehinson

leehinson

Jul 18, 2010
    no i turned the tweeter all the way down and it still did it

7. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Mmmm, My name is Mudd had some good suggestions but if you end up removing the grill you could also check to see if any of your speaker voice coils are dragging. To do this I simply use my hands open palm to carefully push each of the speaker cones inward a little ways (and then let it back out) serveral times while listening/feeling for any sensation of dragging or scraping.

8. The spade connectors are the ones that physically connect the wires inside the cab to the drivers, which means that you'll need to access the inside of the cab, which leads me to the screws...those you'll find around the edges of each driver (see the 4th pic here).

9. leehinson

leehinson

Jul 18, 2010
    thanks. ill give it a shot and see what happens