1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cab Issue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by davidmpires, Mar 14, 2008.

1. davidmpires

davidmpires

Aug 5, 2007
    London
    Hi Guys I have an issue with my rig now, since I swapped the amp (Ampeg B2R for MarkBass F1, my SVT210HE, seems like it can’t handle the Low B and E string, it “farts” a little, this noticeable and I’m playing at really low volumes (in my apartment), I’m waiting to get into studio on Monday and try it out properly, but I won’t be able to take the cab with me, although they use ampeg there so I can see if this is common to other cabs.
    Can this be happening because the cab is rated 200w@8ohms, and the amp delivers 300w@8ohms? Or will this go away when I raise the volume. On all other strings the sound is clear as. Oh the amp is all flat and the tweeter on the cab is in the middle.

Thanks

2. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    A 200w cab should be OK with a 300w amp as long as you don't push the speakers past what they're capable of doing cleanly. I'd check your settings and avoid any extreme low end boosting or any input slamming, like if you have an active bass, don't turn the active boosts up all the way. Markbass amps work best when flat, and any boosts should be kept to a minimum. Better to reduce freqs you don't want than boost ones you do.

3. davidmpires

davidmpires

Aug 5, 2007
    London
    i use a Spector Euro Lx with Emgs it works 18v, maybe that's the issue.

4. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I don't think that cab is made to handle a B by itself.
    Add the 15 and it will be fine
    Don't boost the lows too much, or it will fart, as will any cab

5. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    If it's happening at conversation levels, you can pretty much guarantee it's not a cab issue. You might be overdriving the input of the Markbass. Try turning the gain down and increasing the master volume to compensate.

6. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I can't remember the 210HE's freq range when I looked it up last night, but I remember it should be able to handle a low B. Still, I do think the idea of adding a 15" is a good one with a 210.

7. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    REALLY LOW VOLUMES

Sorry, didn't notice that.
    Any cab should handle anything at really low volumes...bedroom
    I agree that if it is a fuzz distortion, then it is the input overdriving on the preamp end.
    But, the clip light would be on.
    reduce that end and should be fine

8. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I put the gain of my LM2 at halfway. Doesn't slam the input, doesn't distort. I can put it up to about 2 o'clock without getting audible clipping. That's about it.