1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cab keeps going out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CarmenWilliams, Jul 15, 2019.

1. CarmenWilliams

CarmenWilliams

May 18, 2018
    I have an old Peavey Model 215 (from the 80s I think). I've tried a few different heads with it and the cab kept going out. I thought it was the heads until I bought a brand new Peavey MiniMax head. So now I'm realizing the cab is going out when I turn on my Boss Bass Overdrive pedal. It'll play for a few minutes and then it cuts out completely.
    Is the pedal just pushing it too hard?

2. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Bad connection seems likely. Plays for a bit, heats up a tad and opens the circuit. Can you reflow the solder?

3. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    Be loose connection somewhere most likely.

Black widows have foam in the voicecoil vents. Overtime it will degrade and break apart. And gum up the voicecoil.

Never heard of speakers going completely dead from it. But people think driver is damaged or blown. And instead the voicecoil needs to be cleaned.

I'll assume somewhere on the internet shows how clean them.

I'd check both. Completely dead signal more likely a bad/ loose connection on the jacks or speaker.

Sometimes even random stray objects go into ports. If metal they get attracted right to those big magnets. Could be shorting connections. Unlikely. But I've found weird krap in my cabs. From car keys to screws n bolts lol stuck to the magnet.

Usually a speaker killed from to much overdrive is dead. It don't come back. But yes since it's hard to use good judgement when hitting speaker distortion. Cause with distortion pedal your already hitting distortion. I just learned over time and knew the feeling or certain spongy Ness my cab had when being pushed with a distortion pedal running. And what was what as far as overall distortion

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  4. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

I have had a few speakers with intermittent voice coils. If you hit them with high power, they come to life and work for awhile; then go dead again.

Wisebass and agedhorse like this.
  5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Does your cabinet have a biamp jack set-up feature?

6. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    Interesting. Of all the cabinets I've tortured never had that.

Man , that drive me nuts.
    I'd probably punish the speaker for failing lol. And freaking kill it on purpose.

I do remember having a sub with actual bad connections. From the speaker leads/ clips on the basket. And the actual wires from the clips to voicecoil were bad/ intermittent

7. CarmenWilliams

CarmenWilliams

May 18, 2018
    This is the version that DOESN'T have the Black Widows. I was wondering if it was a loose jack as well. It'll literally play for a full 30-45 minute set until that last song (when I turn the overdrive on).
    It just has one jack on the back. I'll post a picture

Attached Files:

8. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Do not play that last song!

Does Boss Overdrive silence other cabs?

gitfiddl likes this.
  9. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    If the cab cuts out completely, I doubt it’s the speakers.

10. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Not the biampable version.

Likely an intermittent jack, wiring or even possibly the driver itself. Troubleshooting will identify the actual cause.

fdeck likes this.
  11. Skeezix

Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    If it only goes out when you use a specific pedal,
    maybe it is the pedal.

12. Or the wiring to the pedal.

Skeezix likes this.
  13. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    If it is a 2x15" cabinet, and both drivers stop at the same time, then it is NOT an issue with one or both drivers (assuming a parallel connection). Check the input jack and any other components/cabling between the jack and the drivers. If all is good, then start working backwards by isolating and testing individual items (eg. instrument cables, speaker cables, pedals, etc.).

Wasnex likes this.
  14. CarmenWilliams

CarmenWilliams

May 18, 2018
    Another thing I forgot to mention. I've used 2 combo amps (one a 250watt and one a 350watt) and used the Peavey as an external speaker and it never went out.
    Here's a picture of the inside wiring

Attached Files:

15. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    It looks like there are push-on terminals on the jack. Are either of them loose in any way? There are probably similar terminals on the driver, same question. Also, does it look like possibly the terminal from the yellow wire is touching the steel cup? That would cause a short.

16. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    If the speaker works with other amps, it suggests the speaker is not the problem.

Wisebass and Downunderwonder like this.
  17. Stumbo

Stumbo Semi-retired member Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    What he said.^^^

Try a different overdrive pedal.

Wisebass and Wasnex like this.
  18. Or even the pedal like the man said!

Wisebass likes this.
  19. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Carmen :)

You don 't want your cab to go out?

Drugs are not a good solution! :D

Cutting the pocket money? No TV after homework?....

My Mom tried a lot of things! But that didn 't help either! :laugh:

Without kidding! Your cab doesn 't like your overdrive pedal but it works without?

Maybe the problem is not the cab! Try another pedal!

greetings

Wise(b)ass

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 26, 2020