Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab linking question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lewibassist, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Hiya i have just bought a Aguilar GS-112 and im goin to get another. But i noticed that the gs-112 has only one speakon output on the back. And my head can only connect to a cab via a speakon. If i was to add another GS-112 would it make any difference if i linked the two GS-112 with a normal jack. So it would be head to cab 1 with a speakon then cab 1 to cab 2 with a normal jack lead. Would this effect anyhting like sound ?.Hope this makes sence.

Lewis

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you're using HUGE amounts of power (maybe >500 watts per cabinet) it might make a difference. Just use the heaviest gauge wire that you can get with 1/4 in. plugs and don't worry about it.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You should be OK, I've done it before with two Aggie cabs like you describe, speakon from amp into cab one, then 1/4" from cab one into 1/4" into cab two. You can also use a 1/4" to speakon adaptor so you can use two speakon cables if you wish.

I always wondered why Aguilar doesn't put two speakon connectors on their cabs, but put two 1/4" instead . . .

If you're handy with a drill and a soldering iron, you can always ADD a second speakon connector to the cab, and solder it to the connections inside the cab. Parts would be about $5.00 at partsexpress.com.

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Lewis, you should be fine. I run my stewart 1.2 in to two gs112s (1200w @4) and use a 1/4 to the second speaker. sound just fine to me!

5. Hiya thanks for all the replies will use a 1/4 lead from now :)
    cheers