Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab location

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DeepPunch, Oct 10, 2000.

1. DeepPunch

DeepPunch

Jul 7, 2000
    I know I've read some discussion on this before, but I couldn't find a topic specific to it...

I use a 2x10 cabinet and have been just placing in on the floor during practice and our relatively small performances. I usually keep it 2 or 3 feet from the wall.

What I was wondering is what advantages (or disadvantages) I would get by getting it off the floor? Also, how far up is good? Also compare the benefits/disadvantages for me, the rest of the band and the audience.

I guess that I should mention what I am experiencing that brings up these questions:
    I can't always hear myself. That would be expected with the speaker centers about 12" off the floor and my ears almost 6'.
    I get peaks and dips in response. (I expect that this has more to do with the room, since when I'm playing more quietly with the guitar things seem fairly smooth.)

Thanks,
    Punchy

2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    The closer to the wall you put the cab, the more boom you'll get as the wall will reinforce the lows. A corner will increase that effect.

If you raise it off the floor 2 things will happen: You'll hear yourself better (because its closer to your ear) and you'll lose a little low end (or more focused lows, depending on your point of view).

I'm not sure if height makes a difference once its off the floor.

3. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    You might try standing farther away from the cab if possible too. I find that many times, the sound from some cabs doesn't "bloom" until 10 or 15 feet out in front of them.

4. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I agree with ihixulu. Because the frequency of the bass is very room dependend every room will require a little different placement. Try having someone else play while you walk around the venue. If it's a small room, tilting the cabinet back might do it. Personaly I use a 2-10" and 1-18", the 18" is on top and the focus (both room and stage) is usually better.

Hope this helps.

5. DeepPunch

DeepPunch

Jul 7, 2000
    I like a good low response, but BOOM (at least by my definition) is annoying. I guess what I suspected I could do is get the cab off the floor to lessen the boom. Then maybe add a little in power &/or eq to flatten (relatively speaking) the sound. I still have power to spare.
    I can go up to 11. :)

Punchy

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'll make a suggestion that has helped me immensely.

I currently play out through an SWR Basic Black, a small combo with a 15 and a tweeter. I could never hear myself, even at practice.

I invested in one of those heavy duty amp stands at Guitar Center, it raises you up off of the floor a few inches and tilts the cabinet back 45 degrees, and presto! I can now hear myself, the band can hear me better, and I even find myself turning down at practice and those small indoor gigs.

7. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Recently, for rehearsals and small gigs, I've been using a Peavey T-Max head with a Peavey 210TXF cab. About 6 weeks ago I put a 12" high "milk crate" (a nice black one I bought at a store for $2, not a crappy one I found in an alley) under the 210cab to hear myself a little better. This worked out nicely. The first time I used the crate under the cab at a gig, all of the people that normally come to see us play kept asking, "What did you do?", followed by "I can hear you so much better". Obviously, now the "milk crate" is a permanent part of my set-up when I'm using the 210TXF as a stand-alone. (For larger gigs I also use a 1-15 cab under the 210).

8. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    How far up to avoid 'coupling' with the floor?
    Are 5" enough or does it have to be 15" or something like that?

I'm asking because I've got the feeling that I have less boominess with my 2x15 since I have fixed mounted casters (the old ones kept falling out), thats about 5" - is this possible (from a physical point of view)?

Thanks,
    Matthias

9. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I just play and enjoy. The placement of the cab(s) shouldnt matter a great deal. I have two mesa-boogie cabs and place one on either side of the drums. it works every time without even considering how it effects the "boom."

10. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Until I joined this forum I did also just play and enjoy - but things have changed since :D
    Bass world has become more ahemmm... sophisticated.

Matthias

11. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    sophisticated shmofishticated. just play and enjoy. one could spend hours at every gig testing various "locations." some of you probably fiddle and diddle with your EQ every time you play too. The usual 15 minutes between band set-up doesnt allow such "location" testing.

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I have an extremely small combo BXR15 i put my gig bag behind the amp & tilt it back & i can be heard with the drummer & guitarist [15watts 2]. I am getting a smaller setup then i hope for due to money constraints. I'll end up getting a TubeWorks 1X15 it's around 150 then 200-240 with extension cab. I'll end up being able to buy more basses by spening the $650 for the amp instead of $1600-2600. Thats all

13. DeepPunch

DeepPunch

Jul 7, 2000
    That's why I ask questions here. To save time tinkering and just play. :) I figure that there must be a couple millenia worth of experience that reads this site, why not use my time enjoying playing, and use everyone elses experience to my benefit? Of course I tend to tinker any way, that's my nature.

Punchy

14. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    With all due respect to brewer9, I hear where your comming from. On the other hand it only takes a few minutes to get it right.

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I go along with "embellisher" - I bought a specially made heavy duty stand which tilts the cab back at an angle and makes it much easier to hear without raising the volume to the point that other band members are telling you to turn down. I find that this still maintains some contact with floor and maintains the bottom end better than the "crate" solution which to my ears resulted is a serious loss of bass. I only discovered this from the now defunct Bassist magazine which recommended the stands and explained the physics behind why this works.

16. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I havent had any problems.