1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cab match opinions - Aguilar DB 728/680 and Accugroove Whappo or Eden 410XLT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kmrumedy, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Hi Guys

I got VERY VERY lucky this weekend and picked up a mint Aguilar DB 728 power amp and DB 680 preamp at an unbelievable price. Unfortunately a fellow TBer passed away (Oddio) and this was part of the estate sale.

I am now looking for a cab to match the Aggies.

The estate also had a mint Accugroove El Whappo for sale for $800 that I was in the process of buying but we couldn't fit it in my Honda Civic. :scowl: It is over a 4 hour round trip to go back there with a rented vehicle so I was considering an Eden 410 XLT that is local in mint condition for $550. ( I don't know if it is 4 or 8 ohm version).

Background info: The application would be for 90 percent home studio but I am considering returning to playing out and might play with friends once per month or gig once per month (meaning I have to move the friggin things :crying: actually my buddies would have to move them cause they don't fit in my car!:D). I like quality gear. I like recording bass by combining both mic'ed cab and direct signal for studio work. I have read the AG is like a large neutral studio monitor and I am familiar playing an Eden and the mid range color that comes with it. I play a 69 Jazz and a Smith 5 String tuned low E to high C. Style is contemporary blues with solos and 70's funk RnB ( think Average White Band).

I have been out of the bass world for the past 8 years so looking for advice as to the best match out of these two options. Value and sound choice.

Thanks in advance.

2. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    No opinions? Ok......need to market this thread.

eyesLingerie.

3. Zootsuitbass

Zootsuitbass

Mar 13, 2011
    Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....................

New berg nv115 (x2??). Any NV line,,,

Sadowsky SA410.Best value if you find one,,, tends to go for sleeper price.

HMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm babe,,,,,,

4. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Thanks Zoot. Picture for you! Anyone else?

asianEyes.

5. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    The Whappo is not uncolored but it is about the best color out there. I had a Whappo Jr. that I am still sorry I sold (I have an Accugroove Tri-115 now). I'd say it would be worth the 4 hour trip!

Dan K.

6. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Thank you Dan. That is encouraging. Picture for you!

zsanettetomay_zpsf14353ff.

7. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

I played my DB680/728 through a pair of Berg HT115's for about a year. One of the best rigs I have ever played through, but god awfully heavy to gig with.

I would be looking at something similar. Also +1... any Berg NV would kill with that rig!!

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    I used a GS412 with that setup and it was godly.

I bet an ML212 would be incredible.

9. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Thanks. Had to look up the ML212. I have never heard of Baer before. Great reviews. This looks like an awesome cab. Is there a used market for Baer or are they still relatively new? Could I find an ML212 used?

Marketing pic:

kWxPM.

10. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    Aguilar + AccuGroove = sekksy time. I had a DB659 pre + QSC PLX power amp into a Whappo for a while and talk about tone. Was playing a Dingwall Afterburner II 5'er at the time, too... ;) :smug: It did not suck.
    I can only imagine how much better that power amp and an even better Aggy preamp would sound.

11. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Thank you Spector. That is really good to know.

m68k.

12. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Anyone pair an Aguilar with an Eden D410XLT?

13. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

Nope. But I owned two 410xlt's about 10 years ago. IMO, every cab previously suggested here will burry the Edens in both tone and performance. Especially when paired with that Aguilar setup!

14. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    I ended up buying the El Whappo! What an awesome rig. Thanks to all for the help in the purchase decision.