Cab off the floor

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MycooLeeyun, Jan 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. I took my Berg HD112 that I didn't like the tone of, and put it on top of my Mesa Subway 115 and all of a sudden I love the tone I'm getting. And conversely, I hate the tone coming out of my Mesa Subway that is on the floor. Just to be clear, I'm only playing through the Berg, the Mesa is not hooked up to my amp. Also, I did not like the tone of them together. There must be something about being on the second story in my apartment building and having a bass cab on the floor that isn't good. Do I just need casters or something to go underneath my bass cab to get a good sound? I tried the Mesa Subway in the store and it sounded fantastic. Brought it home and it sounds like poo now.. I don't get it.

I'm playing a g&l jb2 through a Genz Benz Shuttlemax 9.2

2. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    I play through a 1x12 Bearfaced cab. Sometimes 2. I recall one gig when I put it on top of a milk crate. It was the best tone I ever had.

MycooLeeyun likes this.
  3. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Try tilting up a single cab on the floor - makes a big difference how they sound... Regarding the 2 cabs together - some cabs will pair up nicely, others not so much...

Aqualung60 and MycooLeeyun like this.
  4. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    It's connecting with the floor.

When the cabs are stacked, put a stand underneath them. Some use foam or sound pad. You can try a pad between them as well as a pad under the amp.

5. I guess I have to figure out what to put underneath it

6. An unconnected cab acts as a bass trap at the tuning frequency.

You might benefit from a hpf3.

7. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    How much elevation is needed for a 112 cab to eliminate ground coupling?

8. I think just getting it off the ground will do it -- milk crate, chair, commercial decoupler, anything like that. Make sure it's stable, of course.

MycooLeeyun likes this.
  9. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I always put a couple of rubber pads under my cab to decouple it from the stage. Big improvement since I started doing that.

bucephylus and MycooLeeyun like this.
  10. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    I think about 2 feet would do it... maybe 2.5

11. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Dp1363, mam1862, Sanchan and 12 others like this.
  12. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    thanks!

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  13. Rick James

Rick James Inactive

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    When the cab's on the floor you won't hear most of the upper mids and all of the highs because they're beaming. Lift the cab up, or tilt it back, and you'll hear what was there all along. It has nothing to do with the cab contacting the floor. Isolation devices don't do what they claim to do. This tells why: Testing Loudspeaker Isolation Products

Tommyc, dbbltime, Goatrope and 5 others like this.
  14. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    I have found my fdeck HPF-3 to be very useful in problem rooms - soundmen have liked what it does, too...

steelbed45 likes this.
  15. Yeah, I've noticed my tone being very muddy with the cab on the floor

16. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    spvmhc, 1BassDreamer and MycooLeeyun like this.
  17. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I just got extra large, heavy duty casters. Considering all the ones I had on my GK Neo cab just kept breaking over time. I've been through 4 sets now and the ones I have on them now are from a big toolbox you'd see in a car repair shop. They are awesome! I have about 6 or 7 inches up off the ground because of them. It's great :D

mikewalker likes this.
  18. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Try tilting it back - I set mine up like this:

2saddleslab, Stumbo and MycooLeeyun like this.
  19. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Pics?

When I mount casters, I drill through, and use bolts with nuts/metal washers to secure them.

JRA and gregmon79 like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021