1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cab on the way need a head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by modman21, Feb 28, 2013.

1. modman21

modman21

Feb 28, 2013
    CT
    Hi all. I'm been lurking on this site for years trying to absorb as much of the knowledge I can and I finally have a question...actually more in need of opinions.

I have a Aguilar DB212 arriving today (great deal on Amazon) and now I need a head to go with it. I've set myself a $500 limit and would prefer something new and light. I currently play a Jazz in a small blues based band that tries to keep the volume down. Believe it or not I keep having to tell the guitarist to turn it up. We are auditioning for a second guitar and found that with two of them my current amp is having trouble keeping up.

Choices I've been looking at:
    1. Aguilar TH350
    2. Ampeg PF500
    3. Carvin BX500
    4. GK700RB (most likley used)

The only one I've been able to try is the PF500 in my local GC. Damn thing would cut out and go into some fault mode as soon as I turned gain or volume past 9 o'clock. Not a good first impression. Any thoughts on any of these?

2. +1 for Gallien Krueger

3. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    I have the Carvin and love it

4. I gig with Markbass or Ampeg, however, I use an older GK 800rb with a Acoustic 410 and Hartke 210 cab at our studio and its always a joy to play. I think they paid $300 for it on CL. It make my pbass sound awesome.

5. Well I would want a brand spankin new PF-500 to try, but the TH350 is worth checking out as well.

I have a PF-500 and I run that thing up to stupid levels, 2-3 on the gain or higher, noon to 3 on the master. No failures.

6. Those PF500's have had lots of issues. I'd avoid that myself.

With that cab, and assuming you want more 'round, fat' tone that is still nice and midrange articulate, the Aguilar TH heads are amazing. If your cab is 4ohms, the TH350 would be fine (and would also be fine with 8ohms, of course). If it is 8ohms, it might be worth saving your pennies for the TH500, in case you ever need a bit more oomph. They are both lightweight and small. The TH350 is stupid small though, and sounds very good.

The Carvin is nice, and a bit 'thin and bright' out of the box. Tons of knobs and sliders to get it even and fat though.

The GK700RBII would be cool also. Tighter and brighter and more aggressive than the TH350/TH500. Whether that is 'good or bad' is IMO!

7. modman21

modman21

Feb 28, 2013
    CT
    Thanks for input all. I ordered the TH350. Now just have to sit back and wait for UPS.