Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab options for an Eden

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Jan 9, 2002.

1. SWR Henry the 8x8 and Son of Bertha

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  2. Eden D-410XLT

20 vote(s)
    80.0%
  3. Eden D-410XST

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. Alright, here are the three different cabs that i am looking at. I play a lot of different styles of music and so i want the cab that will best suit me to do so.

1. Henry the 8x8 and Son of Bertha
    2. D-410XLT
    3. D-410XST

Which of those do you think would be best for all styles. Mainly rock style music.

2. Which head are you planning on getting? That'll help.

3. Oh right. Well, i'm either going to get an Eden WT-800 or an Eden WP-100 and a QSC poweramp.

4. 410XST. Played thru one a few days ago with a WT-500, which I assume is a lot similar to a WT-800. Sounded absolutely FAB. More hi-fi w/ more focus than the XLTs. But it still has that great Eden sound.

5. Well, that's a tough one then. Bridging either amp into one of those Eden 4x10's would be sweet.

I have a new Henry the 8X8 and it sounds great, it's louder than hell and it handles a low B really well. It's a great rock cab. I find that I really can't hear it too well if I'm standing right next to it while playing unless I can get the thing off the floor and closer to ear level. I can feel the notes like no one's business if I leave it on the floor but I really need to stand at least 15 feet away from it to hear it. If you play alot of small stages and small rooms this could cause some problems or maybe it's just me. :eek:

6. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    zoom - i agree. i've got an 8x8, and standing next to it you just can't hear yourself. you have to get back a bit. but i suppose that's true of many if not all cabs.

7. So what do you think then? Should i go with the 8x8 and 1x15, or should i go with one of the edens?

8. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    My personal opinion,

If you want to be locked into 1 cabinet, get the 8x8. I see having an 8x8 and a 1x15 or whatever else as being too cumbersome and too much.

Now if you want an expandable cabinet to start you off, get the Eden D410XLT, not XST. My personal comparison of the XLT to XST is that the XLT is made for band use and the XST is more appropriately designated for soloing.

Here cometh the flaming!!!:D

9. So your's saying to get the 8x8 if i don't want to deal with other cabs in the future? And also then, that the eden i should only get if i want to add other cabs later on?

10. Also, if i get the WT-800 and a D-410XLT, should i get the cab 4 or 8 ohm?

11. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    8x8 pros:
    great tone

8x8 cons:
    bulky
    you might want more low end/volume eventually

eden 410xlt pros:
    great tone
    less bulky than the 8x8

eden 410 cons:
    you might want more low end/volume eventually

so i guess if bulk is an issue, i'd look a little harder at the 410. i can fit my 8x8 in the back seat of my civic, though.

either way, you should ideally play through both cabs back to back with the same bass and head and pick the one you think sounds better. heheh. i guess that wasn't much help, eh? good luck...

oh yeah, the 8x8 is 4 ohm - you can get a 4 or 8 ohm d410xlt. although with the head you plan to get, you could go either way without limiting your cab options.

12. I don't think that the 8x8 lacks low end or volume at all. The cab was designed for high volume applications anyway and it goes down to 35 Hz. It's just that the cab has so much "throw" that the notes don't really develop until you get 10 to 15 feet away. If you go with the WT800 you can run one side into the 8x8 and the other into the Bertha (or a Triad, that would be sweet). Stack the 8x8 on top of the Bertha and look out! Ear bleeding volume that will cut.

13. Yeah, i was actually thinking about it. Even though of course i have to test everything out, since i play more rock than anything else, i'm thinking that if i go with the WT-800 i'll get the 8x8 and 1x15 stack. If i go with an SWR head, which depending how much i like the WT-800 in comparisson, i may get an SM-900 instead. If i get that head though, i'd probably start out with a Big Bertha instead, cause balancing the sound level wouldn't be easy with the 8x8 and 1x15 where on the WT-800, they have the balance knob.

14. If you go with the Eden head the Triad would be a better match with the 8x8 than the Son of Bertha. The SOB is only rated at 350w and is 8 ohms but the Triad is 400w and it 4 Ohms. You'd be using both sides of the WT800 to their fullest and you'd have the flexability to leave one cab at home and run out of only one side at full power for smaller gigs.

15. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    yeah zoom what you suggest with the 8x8/triad would kick butt.

i guess the only reason i said he might want more volume later is that i had my rig set up in a friend's basement once for practice, my amp was cranked, and i just couldn't hear myself at all over the guitar. it was annoying. people standing outside said i was plenty loud though. i dunno. maybe i need a monitor.

16. Hey cap,

Try putting your Henry on a couple milkcrates to get it closer to ear level and you'll be fine. That's what I do most of the time in our rehearsal space and I also did that at my last gig. The bar has a basement and with the Henry on the floor most of the lows were going out of the bottom or the cab and really shaking the floor which made the band think I was much louder than I really. That cab drives our soundman nuts since it is so loud. I generally go through the PA anyway so I just picked up an Aguilar GS112. If it works out as a stage monitor at my gig Saturday I might pick up another one and only use the Henry for bigger stages.

17. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    I'm saying that eventually you're gonna want more sound but in a smaller package than an 8x8 and a 1x15. Like I said before, I feel thats too big and akward to carry around. Nobody needs that much stage volume, and once you get to big venues, if you plan to, you will most likely have PA support.

I recommend the Eden amp you're looking at, the WT-800, and the Eden D-410XLT to start it off. That is a great lone cab, so you will be very pleased. Now eventually, you would add an Eden D-115XLT or a 118XL. That would be the best all-around solution for a very versatile bass amp for 4 and 5 or more stringed basses, while retaining its ability to be played in many different types of styles of music.

18. Yeah big cabs are a pain to lug around for sure! :D I don't think that's an issue with MFC...yet.

19. yeah, i'm not really worried about the carrying part that much. Like i said, i really need to sit down the with SM-900, WT-800 and the mentioned SWR and Eden cabs. That way i can pick the best for the sound that i want. I most definately appreciate all of your opinions on the matter.

20. Well, i'm going to go to Guitar Center this weekend, so i'm going to try out the eden head again, the eden cabs, and the sm-900 as well as all those SWR cabs. By the time i leave, i plan to have put at least a down payment on something.