Cab pairing for Aguilar Tonehammer 500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tyrael, May 6, 2020.

1. tyrael

tyrael

May 6, 2020
    Hi all,

I have done my research for a while now and I have decided to get an Aguilar TH500. My goal is to play small-medium gigs with a drummer, band rehearsal with an electric guitar player and also to be able to play at home at low-medium volume (important as I live in a flat)

Where I live, it will be difficult to try cabs to go with this amp, because for most of them, the shops will have to order them specially for me. I kind of have to order online and pray

With my budget of around 750€, I have narrowed it down to the following options:

Fender Rumble 210
    Aguilar SL112
    Markbass NewYork 122
    Markbass Standard 104HR

I'm a bit lost at this point...
    Is it better to go with a single 4 ohm cab solution? Or should already care about adding a second cab later?

The Fender is cheaper and I was thinking it might be a OK temporary solution before I can afford the Aguilar SL212 or 410 which seems to be very light and sounding amazing (from what I have read..)

Other solution could be to go with the Aguilar 112 and expand later...

Other solution is to get a 4 ohm MarkBass and just stick with that...

Any suggestion would be great!

Thanks

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  2. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    IMHO if you like the Aguilar sound, I’d stick with the Aguilar cabs- they sound so freakin’ good! (Not to mention they look fantastic too! ;) )

I’m using a similar Markbass rig (300/500w head, 112.) I play in some pretty low-medium volume bands and the 112 has always been enough. I haven’t even bought my second 112 yet but it’s nice to have the option, and I like that modular thinking for different situations.

I guess if you were gonna use 2x12s EVERY TIME then maybe thats a reason to get the 212 or the 410. But I think if you want to play in the flat, that again sounds like you want a couple smaller cabs.

good luck!

tyrael likes this.
  3. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I don't know the cabs in your list, but I was using Bergantino cabs when I bought my TH500. That is a great sound. I then went for Barefaced 112 cabs and the greatness increased.

IMO the TH500 is one of those amps that makes any cab sound good.

afroman, johnpbass and tyrael like this.
  4. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Can't go wrong with the Aguilar 112, IMO.
    I use Ampeg cabs with my TH500. The sealed cab sound of the Ampegs works really well with the tubey tone of the TH, IMO.

afroman and tyrael like this.