Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab Placement....Physical Setup Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by doc540, Aug 27, 2003.

1. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    I got the new Avatar 210 yesterday, wired it up, cranked it, and I'm stunned at the tone. STUNNED. Far beyond what I'd hoped.

But since I'm only running that 210 cab with a 3 rack SKB case, how should I physically arrange the cab for best tone?

Since it's so small, if I set it flat on the floor (speakers side by side) I'm sure my knees appreciate the great tone.

I have a folding amp stand which would put it about two feet off the floor and rocked back at an angle. I guess I could set the amp rack to the side, but that complicates control/tone adjustments.

Or I could stand the cab on end as another alternative.

Anyone have a good idea of how to arrange this small cab setup?

Thanks again for all your input in getting this new rig together. It's happening!

2. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    either alternative to sitting on the floor would be good.

I know my ankles were enjoying the tone from my 112 cab until I stacked it on my 115 cab.

There is such a difference in a few feet that after I took my 112 cab out of the church for a gig, I brought it back and forgot to hook up the 115 under it. I didn't notice for 2 weeks that I wan't even running the 115. The sound of the cab elevated is that much better than when I had it sitting on the floor.

K

btw, nice pre your running.

3. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    "btw, nice pre your running."

So, you're into classic gear? :D

Thanks for the info. I'll try rocking it back in the amp stand.

4. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I've got one too.
    awesome solid state preamp, build like a tank
    It will probably last forever.

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I recently played a very small stage and I LOVE to have speakers up high near my ears, even when using two 4x10's - I stack 'em. So, I put my 6 space SKB rack on the floor on its side, then put the 2x10 cab on top of it long-ways up. Got a little extra height, and it worked fine.

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Funkster plays with his 210 on end. I suppose you just gotta not bump it! actually he played with TWO 210s on end and the rack on top!!!

[​IMG]

7. If you use your cab strictly for on-stage monitoring, so only you hear it, then the amp stand should do OK. The problem is, bass cabs need to couple with the floor and walls in order to generate strong low end...that's why Jamaican DJs pour concrete in the bottom of their subwoofers. Makes the cab as heavy as 26 anvils, but helps the low end a lot.
    The general rule is: tall and narrow stack of speakers project further, low and wide array of speakers spread the low end around a smaller area. The placement of the ports, if your cab is front-ported, has a lot to do with this, too.
    If your cab is rear-ported, proximity to the wall will have the greatest effect on low-end saturation. Just experiment until you find something that works, and keep doing that.
    If this did't make sense, let me know and I'll rework it when the caffiene wears off.
    Hoppin',
    KFS

8. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Thnx, McR and KFS.

I'll rock it back on the stand during our next rehearsal and see if the bottom end is affected.

9. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    My normal setup as of late is 410HLF on amp stand angled up, with SVT head on its side next to the stand. Helps me hear myself better, and projects out further. I notice no loss of low end (but that combination puts out muy low end anyhow). If the 410 is flat on floor or even on a dolly it is a little too low for me to hear clearly without cranking it, then if I do its too loud. So the amp stand works great. Also I occasionally use 2 Eden 210XLTs stacked, and when I do I can hear plenty good cause the top 210 is close to my hearing organ. I have noticed that on some stages, usually raised wood, that having cab on floor creates too much boom.

10. Jeb T

Jeb T

Feb 19, 2002
    San Carlos, CA
    Hey,

You can try using a milk crate, which make good speaker stands as well as carrying containers.

I used to put my 2x10 vertically on the milk crate, as in the photo. Recently I've been putting the speaker horizontally, which seems to work pretty well.

Cheers!
    Jeb

11. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I too have done as Jeb has, I raised my Musicman HD-212 ontop of 4 milk crates(2 wide x 2 tall) and it helped out alot in being able to hear myself.
    peace
    -Ben

12. Jeb, do you play at the Penis Bar regularly?
    Damn...that's funny.
    KFS

13. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I would suggest setting the 210 cab on a chair angled up at you before buying an amp stand just to see if you like it. Chances your 210 isn't going to fill a room with low end anyway so you might as well be able to hear yourself. I just got my 210 over 1 15 set up completed and I'm using an anvil case to set everything on to get the speakers up to chest and head level. We'll see how that works.

14. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Thanks, even if you are old and in the way like me.

:D

My amp stand is leftover from previous gear purchases, so I won't have to shell out any more cake. But I like the way you think!

:)

15. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    GEEZ I guess I should ahve paid more attention to your original post instead of skimming. You already have an amp stand. DOH! (_8^(I)