Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab placement?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shnapper, May 1, 2005.

1. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Az
    Hello,

I'm new to bass and this forum and I was curious if speaker placement is crucial?

For example: I have an ampeg B100R that I stacked on top of my gk 410 cabinet? Does it really matter that the 15inch woofer is off the ground and on top of the 4-10 inch woofers? I stacked it this way only because it works, is stable and saves me room.

I think it sounds good, I was just wondering if this was considered unorthodox?

Ps. I have a feeling some might mention or ask why a beginner has so much equipment? Well I've been playing 5 months and have already been called a freak of nature HAHAHHA! I sleep with my bass, I really love music and I'm happy to be here... :bassist:

2. I personally haev a 2x10 yokrville and a 1x15 and i put the 15 on the bottom simply because its easier, but by the looks of what you have you 4x10 looks bigger then ur other cab so it might be a little unbalanced if you put it on top

3. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    For a home situation, cab placement isnt important. Live though, you may want to place them next to each other... having the 15 on the floor would lay down a little more bottom end.

You have more equipment than I do... and I've been playing for 9 years! :)

Also, welcome to Talkbass!

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    As a rule of thumb speakers for the bass frequencies should be placed as close as possible to a boundary (wall, floor or otherwise) and speakers for high frequencies as close as possible to ear height. Your setup is the reverse of that, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I would turn that 115 over on its side, and then put the 410 on top so they would be more balanced. An if you cannot remove those casters temporarily, then you can turn the 410 on its side too.
    EDIT: now that I see that the 410 is also deeper than the 115, I guess there isnt a good way to do this.

6. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    My question is...since the B100R doesn't have an external speaker jack, are you even using the 410 cab with it or are you just using it to prop up the B100R. It's ok to elevate a cab to make it easier for you to hear yourself.

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I'm thinkin' it's plugged into the backline head up on top ;). I always used to do odd stacks myself... but just like the sound of the larger cones on the floor.

Ray

8. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    That still doesn't tell us whether he's using both cabs at once.
    Anyway, it's logical to me to place the B100R on top of the 410 in this situation.

9. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Az
    I attached a picture so you can see how I have it all hooked up..

I'm using both amps at the same time using a Morley foot switch/splitter. It allows me to use both amps together or switch between the two if I desire. The reason I did this was I wasn't willing to trade or sell my ampeg B100R for a loss, But I wanted more hi-end punch. After playing the New Gk 410 with the Gk 600 head I knew it had the punch I wanted for a good price. If you all look at my picture, the switch box is just a simple splitter, guitar-in, then two wires out going to each amp input. Almost like having two cords come out my guitar. I have been experimenting with balance due to the fact that each unit is powered separately, I think I found a good combination of decent bottom end, out rageous highs and some serious growl with a small twist of the low mid knobs or pickup volume controls

I asked about placement because I think taking the 15 off the floor killed a little bit of it's super low end boom, it made it sound less muddy, but I think that could be a good thing. I wish you all could hear it, it slaps you right in the face when doing the hammer-pluck thing and rattles your nuts when slow grooving some jazz scales.

I'm happy your all answering, it gives me ideas and knowledge. ....And knowledge to me is priceless........

10. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Well that explains something, and I'm sure it sounds just fine the way you have it.

Another thing to consider is that since the B100R has rear ports, the distance you place it from a wall behind it will probably have some effect on the overall tone in the room.

11. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Az

You are correct sir, I have moved the whole unit away from the wall because all my pictures are rattling. I assume this would also kill the boom a little. I have to consider taking pictures down or moving the set up towards another wall. :bag:

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Unless you are biamping, it isn't important which speaker cabinet sits on top because both will be projecting bass frequencies. It's simply a matter of taste. The cabinet that sits on top will be closer to ear level, so that's the cab you will hear better at the gig.

I've gigged with tens over fifteen, and fifteen over tens. I usually prefer to hear the punchier tens on top, but for blues/country music it's nice to hear the fifteen better. Results will certainly vary depending on what kind of gear you have.

13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    stack it the way it sounds good to you, period.

yes, the cab with the better bass response should probably be on the floor, and yeah, you'll generally like having the more "articulate" speakers nearer to your ears, but sometimes a 2x10 has more low end than a 1x15.

no, i wouldn't put the cabs side by side. vertical stacks are quite superior in terms of dispersion, tone, lack of phase cancellation, etc. in fact for the most part 2x10 cabs should be on their side to get the speakers on top of one another rather than side by side.

14. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Orthodox schmorthodox.

Whatever sounds best is the rule.

I run my big rig with my 115 on top of my 210.

Best tone I have ever had!

:D

Joe.
    [​IMG]

15. There are no rules for stacking other than possibly vertical array sounding generally better than horizontal. The bottom line is just do what works.

16. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Az

Cool thanks for the response and the picture, I feel I'm doing things right for once :bassist:

17. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Az
    Thanks for your positive replies Muzikman and all others that have replied. Now I can focus on balance and sound wth my set up..... :hyper:

So far after adding this Low End GK backline series 410 cab and amp I'm impressed, granted without the 15inch for low end support I probably wouldn't have went with 10's alone. I can hear a slight fuzz in my signal, not sure if it's normal or not. I can kill it by cutting the treble on my guitar or the amps so I think it's most likely just pickup buzz :confused:

18. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Your doing fine.

:D

Joe.

19. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yeah, I like chucking my 15 on top some times.. The punch hits me more in the chest and I prefer the sound for certain situations, although the difference in sound isn't massive.