Cab "Popping"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MJ5150, Dec 8, 2003.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have about four months experience using a Crown XLS402/BBE383 setup powering an Eden 410XLT. Before that I used a Hartke 3500 into a 215 cab.

I have the EQ on the pre set flat. I try to control my tone just using the knobs on my bass. I keep the bass knob up around 3/4 on the bass, and the treble just under half. The input levels on the Crown are set to 3 o'clock, which would be 3/4. The gain on the BBE is set to 50%, and I do not use the BBE process much at all. The volume knob on the BBE is set to almost 3/4. I notice that the amp is clipping also. I am playing a Spector NS2000/Q5.

When I play my rig insanely loud, the speakers "pop", or crackle. When I turn the bass knob way down on my bass, the popping stops. I can also get it to stop when I turn the gain way down. But, I lose the volume I need. What causes this?

2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You're probably overdriving something. I reccomend running the power amp down a bit, pre up. then if it still does it, go the other way. Power up, pre down. You might also check whether you're using a DI signal or a line signal. The levels are different. I am not familiar with Crown's XLS series, but I think they have a sensitivity control if I am not mistaken. You might check that also. It's hard to tell you where to go without playing with it myself.
  3. zoran

May 10, 2002
    I had similar problem. In my case, reason was in bad poweramp soldering joints. Try to lift up your rack from speakers and see what happens.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Well zoran, I never thought of soemthing like that. The power amp is about four months old.

It is too late tonight to play my rig, and check it out. However, the noise restriction in my neighborhood ends at 7:00AM, so guess what I am gonna do at 7:01AM?? Hehehe.

5. You probably thought of this already, but once I had a speaker cable solder joint crack. It was still making contact but barely. When I got louder it would pop and crackle, not at lower volumes. I thought it was my amp and just before I took it in I unscrewed both jack and could just see a little compromise in the connection on one end. Since then I alway check my cables pretty regular now and stopped using those cables with the big honkin' plugs that take the 12 and 10 gauge wire. I have all Monsters now and never had a problem since. Many don't think they are worth the high price, but that is another post. Anyway check all your cables before you do anything else.
  6. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Does the sound distort on only low notes or on any notes played at loud volumes?
  7. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    You're either clipping the power amp or pushing the speakers to their mechanical limit. If it was a connection problem it would occur regardless of volume. The fact that turning down the bass helps leads me to believe the speakers are maxing out or the amp is.

Get more speakers or turn down.
  8. This is probably true, but my experience was in fact the intermitant failure of the solder joint becomming disconnected at the higher volume/vibration. It does sound like clipping I just didn't feel like adding to the already good recommendations. Check you cables anyway. :)
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    redneck....the problem only occurs at high volume, or when i have alot of bass turned up.

tmo33............Leaving the BBE, I go from the balanced XLR jack into my Crown. There is a 1/4" unbalanced out also. The Crown manual recommends I use the balanced for better quality. The BBE manual says to use the unbalanced out to go to the next component in my system, which would be my amp, and the XLR to go to a mixing board.

Who is right?

Would I eliminate the problem if I went with the unbalanced 1/4 out from the BBE instead? What does all of the balanced, unbalanced stuff mean anyway?

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Sounds like you're pushing the speakers too much to me. :meh:
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    yeah, I think so too.

I really like to have my low end up, and the rest of my band digs my deep end as well. I guess I should get a crossover, and send the lows to my 15's, and the rest to the Eden. I have never owned anything as nice as an Eden in my life, I don't want to ruin it.

12. ihixulu

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer

A crossover is not going to solve the basic problem which is that you do not have adequate speaker area to produce the tone you want at your desired sound level. You can biamp, compress, reroute all you want but the bottom line is that you simply need to move a lot of air to get the kind of phatness you're looking for.

Also, what make is the 15? Not all 15's are created alike and some of the older shallower style 15 are all mids and no low's at all.

How many watts is the poweramp capable of?
  13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Howdy ihixulu.....the 15's I have are Peavey Black Widows. The cab they are in is a 4ohm, and it is rated for 800 watts.

Here are the specs on my amp:
    2ohm stereo.......570w
    4ohm stereo.......400w
    8ohm stereo.......270w

4ohm bridged mono...1140w
    8ohm bridged mono....800w

Currently, I run it bridged mono with the 8ohm Eden cab. I have not used both of my cabs at once yet.

14. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Hey Mike, have you tried just switching over to the 2x15 cab to see if you have the same problem?

Ihixulu is spot on, and BigString also makes a good point about jack hardware being shaken up by vibrations at high SPL.

But since you mentioned your amp is clipping, it may be simpler than all that. Clipped peaks will send a lot more power to the speakers than the amp's RMS rating, so yes they're definitely being pushed too hard if you're clipping.

Remember more lows = more gain. Lows suck up power and headroom without ever touching your gain knob.

If you don't have the same problem with the 2x15, it could mean the extra 340 watts is just enough to get you over the headroom threshold for the amount of lows you want to run. Easy to tell by checking your clip light.

If 1140w still isn't enough headroom to get your amp to stop clipping, you'll probably need to follow ihixulu's advice and get more speaker area (and lower-playing speakers) to get the lows you want instead of using up all your headroom with a low-saturated signal.
  15. ihixulu

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Metal Mitch took the words out of my ... fingers...

One thing you may want to try... cut the eq on the preamp at 600hz. Bass guitars put out an awful lot of energy in the mids and by cutting that band you might gain a little bit in headroom and unmask the lows you are trying to get to. It won't necessarily make you louder but it might reduce your need to crank the bass as much.

There is of course, one other option... the dreaded "turn down everybody" option.

Keep us updated.