Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab port question for bgavin, joris, or whoever...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Feb 18, 2003.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Theoretical question time.

I have a pair of Bag End S15-Ds, which are rear ported. It's commonly held that the enclosure on these is tuned kinda high for bass, but they still sound great and are easy to transport - a good compromise cab for many others and myself.

What would plugging the port on one or both of these cabs do to the freq response? I can't download bgavin's software due to issues on my PC... and I'm not sure I could properly interpret the data, anyway.

I'm not really planning on doing this, but am curious.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, my take is that plugging the port = closed box speaker = crappy bass response.

i wouldn't do it.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I wasn't planning on doing it, but I remember a port plug is an option for the S15-D. I don't know enough about cab design to be able to understand what a sealed cab would do. Just scratching a itch, that's all - I like to learn.

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I thought that the bass response should improve, but the effeciency decrease.:confused:

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    a closed box speaker has relatively poor bass response.

6. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    It all depends on the driver specs and cab tuning so its hard to say. If I had to guess I would say the low end will probably suffer. It probably has that nice mid-hump in there and plugging the ports would smooth all that out and you would probably notice less "kick" in this mid area. It should produce a smoother sound and sound a little tighter. Without driver specs and cab specs this all speculation though.

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Yeah, it is pretty hard to say. You can always try it out - don't overpower it though as it probably will reduce power handling in an important frequency range (that 50-60Hz area where it seems to be tuned to normally).

If someone finds a ported cab to be way too boomy, covering the port can be a good quick fix.