1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cab Position

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Goose72, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Goose72

Goose72

Dec 24, 2006
    NW Indiana
    hey guys, just wondering if the way a cab is standing has any affect on the sound.

I am looking into something like 2 10's to start out with, and would standing the cab up vertical alter the sound any? like say the stage was very narrow and i was looking to conserve space.

thanks guys

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I run my 2x10 vertically all the time. If I run a pair, then theiy stand end to end vertically.

1. it get's the speaker's higher for better monitoring close up

2. it reduces 'coupling' withthe stage which can help reduce boom. I suppose there could be times when an increase in coupling could be good. I don't believe I've ever experienced that though.

3. as you mention, it reduces the footprint. It is rare that I feel that there is too much space on stage. Particularly on my side where I have the PA rack(s) if we are supplying FOH.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    +1. Aside from aesthetics there are no advantages to having drivers horizontally placed, and at least three more reasons not to, those being better horizontal dispersion, tighter vertical pattern control and eliminating horizontal plane comb-filtering.

4. Goose72

Goose72

Dec 24, 2006
    NW Indiana
    alright, thanks

i have another couple questions and just decided to put them in here instead of starting a new thread.

I am looking into buying a GK Backline 600 head and the 210 Cab for it to start with. Since the head is rated 300W @4ohms, will i not get all 300 of those watts?(seeing as the cab is 8 ohms)? or will i have to purchase a 4 ohm cab, or another 8?

5. Goose72

Goose72

Dec 24, 2006
    NW Indiana
    would you suggest just getting the Backline 210 combo(which is slightly cheaper than buying the 600 head and the 210 cab seperately), and adding another cab later on?

or should i pony up the extra 30 bucks or so, to buy them seperate?

the only big positive i can see from buying the two pieces, would be versatility. Can anyone find another big positive?
    (besides it looks cooler too)