cab problem...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sundogue, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I currently have a 210 and a 410 cab.

I only use the 410 cab for larger gigs. At my last gig where I used my 410 (Peavey 410 TXF), my speakers sounded very distorted and scratchy...even at lower volumes. I thought my speakers were blown (because it sure sounded like blown speakers).

What puzzles me is that it was intermittent. We checked my bass, my cables and all speakers connections and could find nothing wrong.

I have it at home and all the speakers are out of the cab. I checked each speaker for tears everywhere. No tears, or any signs of stress or physical problems with the speakers themselves. They all move freely and I did the battery test on each one individually. I've never driven this cab very hard, and never clipped my amp.

Here's what I think is the problem. Before I joined this band, my cab was sitting (covered) in my garage for about a year, unused. The Peavey cab has a built in crossover and tweeter with an attenuator. The 1/4" jack is wired through the crossover.

I think some part of the crossover is corroded. I haven't verified anything yet, but I was thinking of using a blank jack plate and a new 1/4" jack and wiring the speakers back up directly to this new 1/4" jack and bypassing the crossover and tweeter completely. I pretty much had the tweeter turned off anyway. I'm thinking that if I just disconnect the tweeter, and connect the speakers directly to a new jack, that this intermittent distortion and scratchiness will go away.

Anyone concur, or think differently? Anything else I could check?
  2. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Could be the battery on your base, if it's active.
  3. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI's a passive Fender P-Bass. And my bass and all other cables work fine with my other cab, using the same head.

It's somewhere in the cab itself. Though it could still be the speakers I guess...but I'm hoping not.
  4. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Are there any other tests I could perform, or things I could try?

What I'm going to try is certainly easy enough to do and won't cost me anything. If it works, I got my cab back for no money.

Is there a way to check for sure that my speakers are okay, that I haven't tried?
  5. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I re-wired my cab up today.

The speakers run from a new 1/4" crossover, no tweeter.

They sounded fine...but at a higher volume they still crackle. It doesn't really sound distorted...more like when you have a bad cord.

I can play it at high volumes and it will be fine, and suddenly it will start cracking up. It is very random when it happens. I can't seem to isolate when or why. Sometimes it's when I play heavy on a low note...but other times, it sounds very clear on loud, low notes without breaking up at all.

It is intermittent. I have all new speaker wires and an all new jack. It is not my bass, my amp or any cables as they all sound fine with my other cab. If it's the speakers, I wonder why they don't always sound like this at a higher volume? And why only occassionally? But it is VERY noticable when it happens.

Any thoughts?
  6. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA

it's more work for you but try testing them out in pairs.

If it is a speaker (it kind of sounds like it is) you will be able to find it through elimination.

7. LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    Is your 4x10 cabinet a lower impedance than your 2x10 cabinet ?
    If it is, maybe your amp does not like the lower impedance.
    You might want to check the impedance of your 2 cabinets with a multimeter,
    Also, you might want to check the impedance of each speaker in the 4x10 cabinet with a multimeter,
    What is the lowest recommended speaker impedance for your amp?
    It would be good if you could borrow an amp to play through your 4x10 to see if it still does it with a different amp.
    Has anything happened recently that could have damaged your amp? – I have heard several examples of after a gig using a sound company, it was discovered that something had damaged the first transistor in the preamp.
  8. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yeah, I've started pulling them out.

It's a 410 cab so I have to at least do them in pairs.

I wish I had the time to build Bill's Omni 10 and just use two of my better 10" speakers (neither of which are in this 410...but they are 8 ohm speakers).

I'll have to do that later this spring/summer.
  9. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Both cabs are 4 ohm cabs. My amp is good down to 4 ohms. Plus I've used this cab for some time with this amp and it's never been a problem before.

Everything else checks out, so it has to be one or more speakers.