Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab question for use with Eden Navigator Pre

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by catphish, Feb 7, 2005.

1. catphish

catphish

Feb 25, 2003
    Cab question for use with Eden Navigator Pre

Do you think there will be a great benefit to switching from my SWR pro series cabs to Eden cabs? Currently I’m using a Sunn Tube amp, but played a guys rig last week that I fell head over heels for: Eden Nav Pre, Stewart Audio 1.2 and a Eden 410 XLT

I know the Edens are more colored than my SWR and I like the transparency of the SWR in conjunction with a tube amp, but I’m wondering how they’ll sound with the Navigator.

Thanks,
    Dugan

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it will sound different. unfortumately, none of us can tell you if you will like that difference better.

3. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    the swr's are good cabs. but i think the edens edge them out a little across the tonal spectrum. the edens to me seem to go a little lower and are a little softer and smoother in the highs, they also have more mid presence to my ears. these are not direct comparisons but rather the result of listening to the cabs in a live context. your results may vary. don't lose your ass swapping out cabs cause the difference isn't night and day, but get that navigator if you can cause that is one nice sounding pre.

4. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    oh, and i used both an swr goliath 2 and an eden with an eden wt-400 and an swr electric blue head. all the combinations sounded fine.

5. catphish

catphish

Feb 25, 2003
    Already done....got one used of the bay.

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    FWIW, I use the Eden Nav through two Aguilar GS-410 cabs, I preferred them over the Eden XLT's by a wide margin, and they cost a bit less (if you know where to shop). I never had the opportunity to try Eden's XST series speakers, though . . .

7. catphish

catphish

Feb 25, 2003
    are the XSTs better? I thought the XLT's were the top of the line cabs. I'm open to other suggestions as well...

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    To me, comparing the two systems you describe, the big diff is the nav and the stewart, both of which I am a big fan of. SWR vs Eden cabs is basically a wash-personal preference thing. There is no doubt in my mind that the nav/stewart combo will get you a much nice sound than the sunn...

9. L-1329

L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    Congrats, that is a great pre! Should sound good with your SWR cabs too. If you are looking to swap cabs, Flynn's has an Epi 212 ultralite cab on the floor, which just kills!

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    First off, good idea getting the Navigator pre. I have used one, and they are really nice. The XST's are Eden's top of the line top of the line cab. Here are the specs on each, straight from Eden's website:

D410XST
    D410XLT

There are a few guys around here who have XST cabs. I believe Nick Man had one or two, maybe ask him how he felt about them. If you want an XST, there is one for sale here at TB right now.

-Mike

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Who is Flynn, and where can I find him?

-Mike

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you like a more transparent sound, my guess is that you would prefer the XST line to the XLT line. The 10" equipped XLT's all have the low-mid bump (though the 12" XLT's don't have this to the same extent), while the XST's are designed to be more flat and extended in frequency response. I have only heard the D210XST, but I was impressed. If I were to go Eden, I would consider either two D210XST's, or a D210XST/212XLT combo.

Of course, if you really like transparent, flat, accurate response, then I would steer you towards some other brands, such as EA, Accugroove, ACME, Bergantino and Epifani.

13. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    IIRC, the XST was kind of eden's response to cabs like epifani et al. Not that the XST are bad, just that they were kind of (IIRC) an "oh s@%t!" move by eden when the more hi-fi cabs started coming out.
    my favorite eden is still the original 410t. Don't go scoping it at 31 Hz :p , but it has a cool sound. IMO, the aggie "S" series 410 comes close to that vibe.