Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab question, in particular AVATAR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Daytona955i, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I have a Peavey 4x10 sitting on top of an Avatar 1x15. I'd like to replace the PV with something better.

My concern is that the delta 4x10 does not dip as low into the frequency range to produce my downtuned bass setup (CGCF) as compared to the neo and kappa. However I already have a 1x15 and I don't ever plan on just bringing just one cab with me so I don't need to worry about how they work by themselves.

If I get the 4x10 delta will the higher notes naturally go into the 10's and the lows into the 15 or will I hurt the 4x10?

I'm hoping I can pick up the 4x10 on ebay (I've only ever seen the Delta's on ebay, which is where my dilemma arises) and save some scratch as I am a college student and a few hundred here and there can be a big deal.

(I play heavy metal, I have an Ampeg B-4R, I'd rather run it bridged so I have more power, as I have two half stack guitarists (both have 120 watt all tube heads), an extremely loud drummer, and a loud singer to run against.)

Thank you.

2. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    You won't hurt the 4x10...both your 15 and 410 will be playing the same notes and frequencys, the only reason that the 15 is more efficient at producing the lower frequencys is that it is able to move a larger amount of air. but the 410 will be more punchy, and will help cut through the mix better.

You probably won't have to worry about hurting the speakers, the 410 by itself is rated at 1400 watts. I have an avatar 410 pro running a bridged mono QSC RMX1450 (that's 900 watts @ 8 ohms) into it, and it's never given me a problem, although I've never had to really crank it up, it's plenty loud when I need it to be. :bassist:

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The Peavey 4-10 is a decent cabinet and probably as good as the Avatar Delta. I can't see you getting any noticable advantage from switching. Maybe if you went to the Kappa model there might be a worthwhile and cost effective solution.

I'd suggest that you work more on your technique so that you can get more out of what you've got. Back in the 50's and 60's we got the most we could out of amps that produced 50 watts at best. It really is "all in your hands"

4. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    *** man? You don't even know how developed my technique is. The Peavey is loud, but it definitely doesn't sound as good as an Eminence loaded cab. My Peavey 410tx is rather lacking in tone and the speakers are okay, but they've been rolled hard and put away wet and I wasn't the one that did it.

I appreciate the thought but I wasn't looking to change my idea, just needing some direction.

Personally I don't think it's very polite to flat out tell me I must not have good technique, especially when you have no way to judge.

Maybe I'm taking it the wrong way.

5. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Do you think there will be a noticable difference in sound quality? Particularly in the low end?

6. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Yea, I think that's the case.

I wouldn't get the delta 4x10, because although it will have a good clear sound at low and moderate volumes, the speakers just aren't that suitable for bass guitar and low frequencies. Don't limit yourself to a 4x10 either, an avatar delta lf 2x12 may be what you're looking for.

7. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    The cabs you should consider are the Carvin BRX series for tuning down.
    The cabs don not choke on the low notes.

8. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    Well .... amp and cab technology has changed somewhat in the last 40-50 years, not to mention volume requirements! Did people even use CGCF tuning back then?!? :p

Good technique is wasted if your gear can't reproduce the physical limits (or close to) of your instrument. I don't think your taking it the wrong way .... but the advice given (work on technique more) could probably apply to most people here on TB!

9. Groove Theory

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    Well, I've never played through a Peavy 410, and honestly I've never tried the Avatar Delta. However, my Avatar 410 Pro has tons of low end, and I run it alone, no 15's, no 12's, and I love the low end it provides. I do think that getting a NEO or a pro model will probably give you a greater difference in the sound quality, but once again I can't say for sure since I've not tried the Delta.

You can try e-mailing Dave Avatar, He's a great guy to deal with, and would probably be more than willing to give you a run down on the differences between the Delta, NEO, and Pro, and may even be able to give you a comparison to a peavy.

If you were thinking of running a single cab alone, I think the 212 would be a great cab to do so...However if you're going to be running a cab with your 15, I would recommend either a 410 or a 210 over the 212. IMO it would give you a wider spectrum to work with. but everyone has different sounds they are looking for, and I'm sure the 212 would still sound pretty kick a$$ coupled with a 15, but if it were me, I'd go for a few 10's.

10. Groove Theory

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
  11. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Would I be able to get punchy mids and decent highs at higher volume out of one?

I want 10's because I think 10's and a 15 is a good mix and I like the way they sound together, low end boom and midrange punch.

Since I already have the 1x15 I just want to know if a 4x10 with speakers that have a low frequency range of about 65hz will sound significantly different than a 4x10 with speakers that have a low frequency range of 30-40hz when coupled with a 1x15?

Will I not have as much of the low end or midrange punch that matters to me?

12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If it were me, I would go for an Avatar 212. Those have lots more lows than the Delta, and if you need more highs you can later add a crossover with a 210. The Delta really doesn't have much more than the Peavey in lows, but I cannot tell you what the Pro sounds like, though I'd imagine it would have quite good lows. The 212 has good punchy mids and good highs as well with a tweeter.

13. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I already have a 1x15, yes 12's are nice stand alone, but I don't think a 15 and two 12's would be a good sound at all for what I am doing.