Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab Question: Ported or Non? Tweeter or no?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Spanky, May 21, 2004.

1. Just wondering what the overall feeling about whether to use a completely closed back cab vs. a ported back one.....
    and using a cab with a tweeter vs. a non tweeter cab?
    Im using (2) GK 410 cabs, completely closed...no tweeters. I like the tone overall, but they seem to lack the "punch" at full power that I would expect them to have. I asked my bass tech about this and about maybe switching to tweetered cabs and for some reason I received a 20 minute tantrum about how he hates tweetered cabs?
    Thanks!

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi Spanky, for bass, I like ported cabs. Tweeters? We don't need no steenkin' tweeters. :)

3. I like tweeters in cabs, They add that bit of sparkle to the top end, making it a bit sort of hifi. Porting on a cabs alters the frequency response of the box usually giving them a lift at around 40hz. Try different cabs, I have both Peavey and Trace Elliot 4x10s and both are good but the Peavey (suprisingly?) has the edge, it has more depth and is generally punchier. Both cabs have horns, good for slap bass style...

4. I like tweeters too, as long as they are adjustable. A bright active bass and non-adjustable tweeter can be a harsh combination.

Ported/sealed-question is trickier, since I´ve had very little experience with sealed cabs. I guess sealed designs aren´t very commonly used in bass guitar amplification because of the inefficiency.

5. There are no open-back bass cabs. The only ones that are open in the back, are the ones down for service. Bass cabs don't operate with open backs.

They are sealed or ported. This is determined by the driver installed. If in doubt, you can stick the driver into a sealed box and it won't blow up. Fender did this for years with the Dual Showman and JBL 15s which are designed for ported boxes.

6. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    My Avatar 210 has a harsh, hissy tweeter. Hate it. I keep it turned off all the time.

7. I have both.
    Bergantino HT/EX 112 ported with tweeter
    Bergantino NV610 not ported no tweeter
    Both are awesome

8. My preference, ported, no tweeter.

YMMV

9. No tweeters! I like it mellow.

10. Alot of the "harshness" associated with tweters could be down to the way and the frequency of the crossover. My Peavey 410TVX sounds sweet as a nut and I undrstand the Xover frequency is 2.5khz however the one in my trace elliot cab which has the same unit as the peavey does sound a little nasty sometimes. I put this down partially to the xover but more to the celestion speakers projecting the upper mids better, around 1.6k-3khz. The peavey possibly has a different filter, maybe its a true hipass/lowpass design? Anyone know for sure? If it is then that will probably put the horn out of phase by (if remember correctly) 90 degrees if one presumes the octave slope at 12bd/octave. This will reduce the percieved SPL at and around the xover frequency. I like horns but il just shut up now...

11. Quality

Quality

May 7, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Very slight tweeter (but only if slapping). Front ported for sure. I have an older SWR goliath II with rear ports, Prefer the front lower ports much more.

Just one guy's opinion.

12. Thanks for all the input. I went and upgraded my Ampeg B2R for the SVT-5 Pro (found one on clearance for 800$) and played it through my current GK410's (non-ported--no tweets) and it sounds much much better now. Ill find out for sure at tomorrows rehearsal but I think I was just way underpowered for my gig....which by the way I got some great news today that the gig may be getting even bigger...but thats another thread!
    Cheers!

13. DrBass

DrBass Banned Commercial User

Oct 20, 2003
    Myrtle Beach, SC USA
    Owner, Dr Bass LLC
    I get this question all of the time, sealed cab, ported front, rear, side, bottom slot, tweeter, no tweeter, mid, no mid. The real key is to find a bass that you like and match it with a rig that accurately reproduces the tone of the instrument. And if that means sealed cab with no tweeter, or ported 4-way cab then so be it. It is simply a matter of preference.

14. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    My story goes like this...
    Tweeters are meant to SELL cabs in music stores. Whilst playin' w/a band the HF usually gets lost while actively cluttering up the HF from the rest of the band. So... Tweeters... We DON'T NEED NO STINKIN'TWEETERS! (to re-iterate).

Sealed cabs (infinite baffle) are inheirently linear... they are smooth and punchy... the problem is the loudness. Tuned ported cabs, while being louder than there sealed counterparts, suffer from somesort of floppiness at certain low frequencies. Of course, depending on the tuning and what note you're playing. SVT 8x10s sound tight cause they're really 4 2x10 infinite baffle cabs! The air inside prevents over excursion of the drivers and contribute to the tightness... the number of speakers allow thE LF to be sweeeeet

Jb

15. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Same here. I like a ported cab for added volume. I rarely if ever use the tweeter. I can get plenty of highs from a good bass w/decent strings.

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

For modern slap tone you probably want a tweetered cab. For vintage punch, you probably want a sealed/tweeterless cab. There are many points in between, but really, it all depends on your ears.

I love my Bergantino NV610 (sealed, no tweet) for the punch and growl... it sounds especially wonderful at gigs. Also, I really like the warm sound of treble coming through the speaker.

Then again, I love my Bergantino HT cabs (ported, tweetered) for their fidelity: more sparkly highs, deeper lows.