Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Duncan Kempson, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Hi Guys

Is the frequency response of a cab determined only by the frequency response of the driver or can the design of a cab lower this?
    TIA

Dunc

2. FF Petro

FF Petro

Feb 16, 2004
    ATL
    While the cab design cannot create sounds that aren't actually there, the design can greatly boost the low frequencies that would otherwise be "unusable". So a cabinet design to do so, could bring some unusable frequencies into the usable range.

Petro

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    And it can also go the other way. A bad cabinet design can seriously affect the frequency range of a driver.

4. I don't know about 'deeper', but there are distinct differences in the way different cabs (of similar speaker size) sound that IMO cannot be totally blamed upon the speakers... It's my belief that part of the reason the Aguilar GS-112's sound so good is because their cabinets are different than most other 112's. Their face surface area (by the grillwork) is probably the same square-wise as many others, but they've a deeper area set behind the speaker... Put a GS112 next to, say, an Eden 112, and you'll see that the Agi's cab extends about 3"-4" further back. It does make their cabs a bit heavier in weight than some, but as far as the sound goes it do make a difference. IMO the Agi GS-112 has a nice mellow, more rounder tone than most any other cab available, regardless of size!

Greywoulf