Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by McHack, Feb 27, 2006.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ok, first off, I'm playing thru an Aggie GS410. Once I played thru it, I loved the tone of it. I was only putting 400w into it, & it was loud enough for what I've needed, but havent bridged my power amp yet.

However, after having to move this thing 4-5 times, its size has become a real pain in the ass to me. It's not that it weighs 100lbs. Its that, combined with the fact, that I drive an '87 Mazda RX-7. It's a hatch batch, w/ a fold down rear seat... so, yea, the cab fits. But, loading & unloading the cab stresses my back each & every time I have to move it, because I have to lift the damn thing 3 feet into the air each time I do. I'm 42 years old, am 5'9" & weigh around 175.

So, I'm finding that as much as I may love this cab, that I'll need something significantly more portable. What I really need is a GS410, that's half the size of a GS410.

My first thoughts are, 2 smaller cabs,,, maybe a 112 & a 210... or a Schroeder Medium box. That megathread has become unmanagably huge, & there appears to be alot of moronic one-upman-ship going on over there... so, I dont even go there anymore.

So, I would greatly appreciate any valid suggestions. I'm presently using a Crown XLS 402 for a power amp, but am not above upgrading this in the next month or two. But, that's another topic. I just need to get portable, because I cant kill myself everytime I want to go play.

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I sympathize with your back. I use two aguilar gs112's. 42LBS each 300w. I think the tone might be a bit fatter, but at least you can break up the lift. some regular schroeders may be heavier than rated. it was in the case of a 1210 I borrowed 11 LBS heavier than expected = 58 LBS. You might look into the "light" schroeders a 1212 for 36 LBS.

3. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    Yeah, the Schroeder 1212 looks pretty tasty at only 36 lbs. For that matter, so does the 410 at only 55 lbs.

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    2xGS210 should do the trick.

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    58lbs isnt so bad. But, picking a 100lb 410, to lift it into the back end of a hatchback is rough for a average sized guy, even if I do work out.

6. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I hear ya. I used to drive an 84 Rx-7 GSL-SE .

And I used to put this bad boy in there. 135 lbs of WHOMP.
    It actually fit if I moved the drivers seat up 1 inch. At 54, I don't do that anymore. The 106 cab stays in the practice space and I use 2 4x10's or one 2x12 depending on the
    gig or jam.

Fortunately, my band mates are kind and help out with the
    heavy lifting.

7. blown240

blown240

Dec 10, 2004
    I had to do the same thing a while ago. Except I started with an 8x10. I ended up getting a 2x10 and a 4x10. That way I can take as much as I need for the given circumstance.

8. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    First, get yourself some cardboard to lay on the edge of your hatchback trunk to protect it. Then turn the cabinet sideways and roll it up on to the cardboard and in to the hatch back, manuever the turn once it is balanced on the edge of the trunk. Protect your back.

It constantly amazes me that bassists who have the biggest speakers drive small cars. Get a wagon, van, or a small pickup, the right tool for the job. Handtrucks work very well to and from the vehicle also. :bag: