1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cab question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Metal Matt, Sep 23, 2008.

1. My drummer has had this off brand 4x12 cab sitting around his house forever, it's really big for a guitar cab, and has always been obnoxiously bassy for guitar use, no matter what the EQ settings are. So we started thinking maybe it can be used for bass. I brought it home tonight and it sounds good with my amp. Lots of muddy midrange, but it sounds good, and I can't hear any distortion in the speakers or anything and they don't look like they are moving in and out anymore than any bass speakers I've seen.

But since I still can't be sure if this is a guitar or bass cab, I was wondering what I could look for, what sort of warning signs would there be, if it turns out the speakers can't handle bass?

Thanks for any help.

2. ... really, no one. :meh:

3. ReidK

ReidK Jst sy n t lsy cmprsn. Supporting Member

What's the brand? And can you ID the drivers in any way?

Reid

4. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    you could check the speakers themselves- there should be a number or company logo or something that will tell you what type of speaker they are. youll have to use that interwebs thing to find this out once you have some info off the speaker. they could be full range speakers too.

AFAIK youll know that something's wrong when they start farting or just stop working. yeah i know, big help, right? at low volumes it should be fine but when you start pumping the watts through it it may start to have problems, from what i hear.

5. The speakers say SKS 1208 and then some more numbers, I can't remember the whole thing. I tried searching google and found nothing.

The cab is from a company called Waller Amplification.

I did blast my amp through it though, and heard no distortion from the speakers, and they didn't look like they where moving in and out all that much. No more than usual.

Next time my band practices, I guess I'll just use this and see if it holds up to an hours worth of full volume.

6. ReidK

ReidK Jst sy n t lsy cmprsn. Supporting Member

Waller isn't exactly an off-brand; it was started by Buck Waller, one of the founders of Rocktron. They are part of ISP, so you might get some informtion by emailing info@isptechnologies.com.

Reid

7. adam precision

adam precision

Mar 26, 2008
    Ireland
    If at high volume the speakers don't move in and out much it could be a sign the not bass speakers. Bass speakers tend to move a greater distance than guitar speakers. Then again if they are old bass speakers the wouldn't move that much anyway.
    Try boosting the bass (eq) at low frequency (below about 75hz) if you cant really hear much of a difference then they could be guitar speakers. Don't do this at high volume though.

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Yes, and no. Bass drivers have longer excursion capability than guitar drivers, so their cones can move further. But in a well designed reflex cab the driver's excursion is at a minimum in the bass frequencies, so in and of itself looking at the motion of the cones says very little. Distortion, or the lack of it, is a much better indicator.

9. levis76

levis76 Seconds from getting ba...

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Sounds like you have your solution.

Rock'em till you pop'em. :bassist:

10. Well yesterday at practice I used this 4x12 along with my 4x10, full volume. I use distortion almost all the time, and octave here and there. Tuned to drop B. Absolutely no problems, other than the 4x12 sliding around from all the rumbling. haha