Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fivestarharbor, Jun 11, 2002.

1. fivestarharbor

fivestarharbor

Jun 6, 2002
    I'm looking into buying a cabinet (or combination of 2) to be powered by my B2R head. I'm wondering a few things about the combination of cabinets I should buy. I like lots of clarity in both my lows and high-mids. (I don't really use the highs a WHOLE lot, but would like to get a good sound out of them if I ever did. I've seen some people reccomend a 2-10 and 1-15 combination, which is what I'm looking into the most, but recently I say someone suggest a 4-10 and 2-12. Anyone know which would get the best clarity throughout the sound spectrum? (I never have any lower notes than a drop-D.) Also, I've heard things, good and bad, about the 4-10HLF by Ampeg. Any comments on that?

2. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    If you want lots of clarity, the 2x12+4x10 would probably be the best bet. If you want lots of low end rumble, the 2x10+1x15 might be better.

One thing I know for sure, 12's have a much larger "chest hit" factor than 15's. 15's simply rumble you out of the place.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The svt410HLF is a nice sounding cabinet but pales in comparison to the bigger, weirder looking PR410HLF.

The SVT610HLF is a close second to the PR410HLF.

An Avatar 410 and B115 together would work well with the B2R.

You have to be careful with the head as its minimum rated impedance is 4 ohms. With two 8 ohm cabinets, you'd be able to put one on either side of the stage. With 4 ohm cabinets, you're stuck with one (unless of course you cobble together a special cable to connect the cabinets in series...but that's another discussion entirely).