1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cab question??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DWBass, Mar 23, 2009.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Is it normal for a cab to choke when it's given more juice?? Weird, I have a SWR Goliath Jr. III (8ohms/350w). When I run it with a little GK MB150IIIS, it shines even though it's only getting 100w. I tried it with another amp that pushes 330w @ 8ohms and seemed like it didn't want to budge! I had the amp at 12 o'clock and I swear it didn't budge volume wise! I could not get the thing to project at all!

2. Lunchbox4u_6

Lunchbox4u_6

Dec 1, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    What kind of amp was it? I know that i got horrible results when i used my QSC GX5 and a Behringer bass POD modeler with my Ampeg SVT 4x10. I recently picked up a Thunderfunk 550 and it's like night and day. Even though the power amp is rated for high wattage, it just didn't deliver, i blame the preamp though. I'm not an expert and this is just my experience.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Let's not get into any brand bashing here but............it was a Hartke 5500. I will say this, I have no problem with the amp using any other cabs I own! That amp is a beast!

4. Lunchbox4u_6

Lunchbox4u_6

Dec 1, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    I had a Hartke 3500 for almost 10 years that ran my Ampeg and never had a problem. I guess it could have been a power problem. If the head wasn't getting enough good power it wouldn't be able to push out power to your cab, again, i'm not an expert or an electrician or an amp tech, just posturing here.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    All speakers have a point beyond which more power applied will not result in more volume. That point is not the same as the rated maximum power. With most cabs it's no more than half that figure.

6. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

The position of the volume knob does not relate to power output.

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm with you! It wasn't even as loud or articulate as the 100w I was getting from the little GK!! It just befuddled me! LOL! And again, that Hartke shines with every other cab I own!