1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cab question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by b-bottom, May 13, 2010.

1. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    Does anyone know of a company that builds 2x15 cabs that look the same as a guitar 4x12??
    If not, where would I find specs to do it myself?

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    There might be somewhere but it would be a bad design. A pair of 15's would have to be stuffed diaganolly in a cab that is too small for them. Would suck in the bass department and have the dispersion of a 25" speaker. In other words, it would suck. But if you want one that bad, I could make you one, even make it look like a Marshall or a Mesa too.:D

3. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    So how much bigger than a normal guitar cab would it have to be in order for it not to sound like crap?

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Even the most small-cab friendly 15's really need a good 3 to 3-1/2 cubic feet per speaker of open space inside. That's open space, not counting space taken up by cabinet bracing, handles, tuning ports, the speaker itself, etc. Something 26 inches wide like a normal tube amp would be roughly 15-17 inches deep and at about 3 ft. tall. Rough measurements here. You could change the dimensions to make it wider, shallower etc. if looks are that important (they shouldn't be but they are). It would have to be at least 32" tall to fit a pair of 15's in there one on top the other. Making the cab too shallow could affect the tone negatively (or positively if you like that kinda thing). Making it a sealed cab could shrink the overall size of the cab, the tradeoff is loss of low frequency response and a limited selection of drivers to chose from nowdays.

Are you looking for a cab that somewhat faithfully reproduces what you put into it or do you want something that puts a "tone stamp" or a "color" to your sound. If it "has" to look a certain way and then figure the rest out later, you're putting the cart before the horse, as is the rest of your band.

5. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    Thanks for the info but I fail to see what my question has to do with the rest of my band putting the cart before the horse:confused:

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Your question was about a 215 bass cab that "looks like" a guitar 412. The two don't fit. Actually, 4 - 12" speakers in a square is about the worst design you could come up with for a guitar cab as well, except for maybe 4 - 15" speakers in a square.

But anyway, find, buy or design a badass cab and then make it look how you want it to look as in shape/finish material/grillcloth/etc. Don't put the look first and then deal with whatever you can make of it after that. That's what everybody else does be they Fender/Ampeg/Marshall or whatever.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    What are you trying to do. Just find someplace that'll make you a basscab that looks like a guitar 1/2 stack? I'd don't know of anyplace that just does that off hand but some custom builders likely could....easily. A typical marshall 412 is what?..4cu.ft. sealed or in the neighborhood, maybe less?

That size can be easily worked with if it's a single, really good 15 and ported. If to go with a 215, a ported cab would need to be too big to make it look right and sound right. A sealed 215 might be an option but any of these ways would have to be a custom build to make sense. The only reason to hackup an existing guitar cab would be for the vintage hardware, "smoky bar room wear and tear". You would at a minimum have to hack out the front and maybe even add an inch or two to the back so there goes your vintage covering, and add strips of bracing here and there, could still use the hardware.

Actually, that's a good idea...may have to think about that a bit. The thing would likely be a scratch-built bass cab but the the same face as the guitars, go deeper to get the needed space and use the same tolex/grillcloth, etc. Some folks would buy that. In addition to that, I would make a tubeamp headcase that a 2 rackspace head would bolt right into even though there's no reason for the added height but the grillcloth would look cool.

Edit: Could even put in recessed rack rails for a couple/three 1 rackspaces unit above that, behind a removable grill cloth frame, with black tape over the lights...or more lights..or whatever. That would open it up to guys who use a 2U poweramp and a pre + additions, whatever. Again it's the same face with somebody else behind the curtain.

8. too many variables for any kind of a concise answer..... 2x15's work best through a vertical array....i'm not sure what you would gain by trying to jam 2x15's into a 4x12 guitar cab,but the potential to spend a lot of dough for poor results is high.....especially if you are not well versed in cab construction....better to put your dough on the hard way bets at the craps table....at least there you have a chance.....

before you get too worried about trying to cop a guitar cab look,maybe try out a 2x1x15 bass stack.....orange,reeves,ampeg and others make some excellent looking stacks that are designed for bass and sound really good.....

the other point i'd consider would be that the wall of cabs seen on concert stages is often just for show and the real amp is behind them miked to the pa,or a di

9. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Hmmm... does it have to be the same in all dimensions? Or can it be much deeper than a guitar cab?

I ask, because if it could be much deeper, perhaps it could be an isobaric cab with one speaker mounted in front of the other. Or you could do what Sundogue did and mount one speaker firing downwards. I'm not sure even his small 2x15 would be similar at all in front dimensions to a guitar 4x12, though.

Really, though, why do you want this? What's wrong with a vertical 2x15?

10. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Yeah, it depends upon how faithfully you need replicate "the look", you could build a pair of them with one kappalite 3015LF in each one and pretty much rule the world or at least the bowls of everyone in the first five rows, but if the star search/American Idol camera's zoomed in too closely towards the back of them, everyone would notice they'd be missing the big ugly gaping hole that most guitar cabs have back there. (note to self, decaff decaff....)

11. Korladis

What big ugly gaping hole? I don't get it.

12. What's wrong with a 4x12 if you want the look of a 4x12? Does it HAVE to be 15's?

13. some of the 4x12 design guitar cabs are open backed

14. Korladis

Oh I see. Strangely enough, none of the guitarists I've played with have used open backed 4x12 cabs. I've seen plenty open backed combos, though.

15. "Q"

"Q"

Feb 9, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    I think marshall currently makes or made not long ago a bass 4x12 that looks like their guitar cabs. And then it would be authentic too...

16. [QUOTE="Q";9126522]I think marshall currently makes or made not long ago a bass 4x12 that looks like their guitar cabs. And then it would be authentic too...[/QUOTE]how many are seen on stages tho'......