Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cab question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaurus, Feb 10, 2003.

1. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    alright...so at practice this weekend i a/b'ed my svp and bddi to see which i liked better. well the sound distorted at high volumes with both of them. (more so with the svp...i should put new tubes in it before i decide between that and the rbi). i got a power/pre setup to replace my hartke 3500 to get better tone at higher volumes.

now i'm wondering if it's the cab that's causing the problem. i have a peavey tvx 8x10 that's rated at 400 watts. i'm running my rmx 850 brigded into this cab. is it that the speakers aren't very efficient? so what i'm wondering is, would i be better off getting a new cab setup that can handle more power (is this speaker efficiency?)?

if i do this, i'm more than likely going to go with an avatar setup. everyone has great things to say about them, and i can get two cabs for better portability (until i can afford an ampeg 8x10). what do you all think about this? are the avatar cabs going to perform well at high volumes? i am going to run 830 watts bridged into the setup (2 8 ohm cabs probably), then possibly get a more powerful power amp and run it from both channels. (another question about this later).

i guess my question is this: would getting 2 seperate avatar cabs handle more power and sound better at higher volumes than the peavey 8x10? if so, what two avatar cabs to get? i'm thinking the b210 delta 03 with either the 2x12 delta lf, or the 1x15 kappa pro lf. what would you all recommend?

i understand that theoretically an 8x10 will move more air, but if it's not very efficient, would a setup like i mentioned above sound louder and better? let me know. thanks.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    A used Ampeg SVT810 won't be much more than what the new Avatars would cost. If that's what you really want, it would be worth the wait.

I love my little Avatar cabinets (B112 and C15) and if I didn't have a lousy back I would have bought a couple B115s (I had a pair of Goliath IIs). If I was buying now, I might get the B115T and a B212Delta (that's the 8 ohm one right?). That would be cool...

From my experience, the Ampeg 810 is a very efficient cabinet...but it doesn't have the frequency response of a more modern design.

3. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    would going with an avatar setup like i mentioned be a big downgrade from what i've got already? i'm guessing it'd either be the 2x10/2x12, or the 2x10/1x15. would i lose much volume because of having less speakers, or would it stay about the same because the avatars can handle more power?

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I wouldn't think it's a downgrade. It all comes down to the efficiency of the speakers/cabinets.

My B112/C15 seem to be very efficient.

There's a new thread about the B212 and the guy used it with a Peavey 210TX...check it out.