Cab Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cliffemall, Dec 11, 2003.

1. cliffemall

Dec 8, 2003
    Ok heres the deal. Ive been playing bass for some 3 years and change. Im origanally a pianist (9 years) so bass came to me like a shot. Probably comes from all the mozart, bhrams, etc. (those dead guys sure as hell can put your fingers to work) Anyway, apparantly many local bands think I'm good enough to help them, not only cover the bass untill they get a new bassist, but I've been asked to actually record for another bassist. (what an honor!)When this all came about I was playing a really good, but DEFINATLY NOT pro rig. Recently, ive gotten a virtually custom bass (this thing is sweet its a P/MM bass...warmth, punch and bite of a p-bass pup with the clarity, force,and just damn good sound of a MusicMan style MM:D)I got a Presonus tube pre with yes an original TELEFUNKEN smooth plate tube(why we bother with solid state i may never know...damn my dads generation)and all this runs nicely into my ampeg B2R. Ok heres what I need. NUMBER ONE THING IS TONE (lol duh no ****) I LOVE TOOL and "my tone" is a cross between Flea and the "tool-esque" style melodic riffs. Im also a fan of MASSIVE punch. I want lots of low end but i play a four string so i should be fine with a 4x10 i think? All said and done id love that new ampeg 4x10 (yeah the 1200 watt BEAST...anyone whos taken a trip to guitar center feels me here) but guess most 16 year olds im flat ass broke. I got a $300-$600(max) price range. I can obviously afford only 1 4ohm cab. (must b 4ohms to suck all 350 watts out my b2r) Ive looked at ameg, some swr, a used ashdown, and ive heard good things about yorkville and avatar. Right now im leaning twords the avatar 4x10 but what are yalls opinions/suggestions on the matter?
  2. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    try to find some used mesa boogie road ready
  3. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I've got the 4x10...had it for almost two years and it's a solid cab all the way around.
  4. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I don't have the Avatar 410, I have heard the punch is there, but not a lot of low end.

The 410 costs: $339

The 210 costs: $229
    The 115 costs: $239

A 115+210 combination would probably serve you better to get your low + punch. Its $468 instead of just the $339, but it gives you added versatility and lows.
  5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Dave often sells his new cabinets on eBay for slightly less than what they cost on his website.

If you live near Charlotte, NC, there is an old style (rear ported) B115 on eBay right now with bidding at only $75. The cabinet is supposed to be picked up in Charlotte according to the auction copy.

It you're nearby, that's quite a bargain.