Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab questions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rontalsaurus, Dec 25, 2002.

1. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    I'm in the market for a cab to get a rig together for small to medium sized rock gigs. My head is an Eden WT400.

After doing a buncha reading and thinking I'm more or less narrowing down my options to Eden or Aguilar. I'm interested in:
    Eden 210 XLT
    Eden CXC112
    Aguilar GS210
    Aguilar GS112
    Aguilar GS212

I'm not sure which driver config is going to suit me best...2x10, 1x12 or possibly a 2x12 if I think it's portable enough.
    The 1x12 would be ideal, but I worry that it's not enough cabinet for rock gigs.

As for the different cabs, anyone have any experience with them in terms of comparisons?

I'm looking for a warm sound, something deep but not boomy, a solid low-mid thump but with enough growl to give it life and character. Mids need to be very rich and not airy or nasal. I don't really like a snarling-mid, just something pronounced and thick. Highs need to be sweet and round, not zingy...shouldn't be a problem with these makes.
    References for tone...Phil Lesh a la mid 1970s, Keith Mosely of String Cheese Icident, Oteil on Vida Blue's stuff (with a bit less growl), Vic Wooten on the first track of Bela Fleck's "Tales from the Acoustic Planet" or "Live Art's 'Loch's of Dread".
    (hope that helps)

Thanks,
    Andy

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'd say go with the Aguilar 1x12 or thier 2x12.

3. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    any particular reason?

4. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    they sound perfect for what you want. I'm thinking about selling my Euphonic Audio CxL-110s to get them.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I always thought the WT400 (I'm selling one right now, in fact) sounded good with the D210XLT. Nice match with the sonic qualities you've indicated you're after. I doubt you'd be disappointed with that combination.

6. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    hmmm...Well, that's certainly a good reason.
    Is a single 12 enough cabinet for a small to medium sized rock gig though? I mean...any decently large bar/club and the PA will take care of it, but smaller places will likely find me pushing my own sound. The last place I had a gig, the PA was virtually non-existent.
    I need something portable, so I'm going to shy away from the 2x12 unless I find them surprisingly dainty (not likely). It's also a bit more money than I'd like to spend.

7. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    I totally agree...it's almost an Eden Metro at that point. My worry with that though is that I find that sometimes, and this could be the player not the head/cab, I find that Eden/Eden match-ups get a bit boomy and lose the punch that one or the other component provides.
    Too much warmth maybe.

8. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    have you played one of the Aguilar 112s? If so what did you think

9. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    haven't had the chance to play an Agi 112. I will very soon...hopefully within a few days.