1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

cab rattles

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnnydenver, Mar 11, 2009.

1. johnnydenver

johnnydenver

Apr 14, 2008
    so since i routinely freeze my cabs, do you think that a cab is less or more likely to buzz/rattle when cold or when room temperature?

the cab in question is an svt-15e - and i have to tighten every screw on the thing every couple months or it becomes unplayable.

i'm thinking i need to keep it warm at all times, but my unheated garage is the best storage place for gear (the amp heads stay indoors)...

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You definitely don't want to play cold speakers, but if your only problem is screws come loose during the winter, that's easily fixed so I wouldn't worry about it.

3. Hi.

Generally any high quality wooden cabinets won't suffer from being freezed and thawed over and over again. The condensation that occures is far worse.

The glues however can be affected. Some of the cheaper glues become brittle when the temperature drops and can lose their bonding ablity completely.

Regards
    Sam

4. johnnydenver

johnnydenver

Apr 14, 2008
    at risk of opening a can of worms, i must point out that the cab is a chinese ampeg svt15e. mdf? it has been a pain. doesn't weigh anywhere near the advertised 75lbs either...maybe 50 at most.

i think cold loosens - when your ring is stuck, you run your hand under cold water...

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I thought Chinese Ampeg cabs were made out of baltic birch plywood. 1/2", I believe.