Cab recommendations for GK1001RB-II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DFTLownsYOU, Apr 19, 2004.

1. DFTLownsYOU

Dec 11, 2003
    Redlands CA.
    Alright this is my first post here so bear with me here folks. I just picked up a GK1001RB-II , now I'm working on getting a cab. I don't know very much about different cabs/brands and any unique sounds (if any) that come along with them.

My main bass is a Stingray and I play in a band with a "heavier" sound ... At The Drive-In/Fugazi/Cursive/RHCP esque. As far as cabs configurations I've no preference though I figure a 410 cab would be more practical then again...what do I know eh? So, if any of that helps, any suggestions and ideas would be most appreciated. Ohh and as for price range I don't really want to go over $700-$800. With that being said , bring on the suggestions!
  2. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    I've used the first generation GK 1001rb for about 2 years now, first with Ampeg cabs and now with a Bergantino. I've had very pleasing results from each. The idea being that these cabinets both "warm" up the the clean but aggressive natural tone of the GK. I also play an '81 G&L L-2000e mainly, which is not unlike the Stringray in terms of tone.
  3. zoran

May 10, 2002
    Mesa boogie. I was very pleased with gk-mesa 4x10" combo.
  4. funkslapped

Apr 25, 2003
    I also use the first generation 1001Rb, like Mike A. It's pushing a Gallien-Krueger 115RBH and a Goliath III 410. I would recommend this setup to almost all players. Particularly those playing on Warwick basses. Whatever you decide on, I hope you play through it first. :smug:
  5. I run a first model 1001RB into two Aguilar 1x12s. The head can really push the cabs, and the cabs really warm up the GK. And SMALL RIG!
  6. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    There is an Aguilar GS410 in the classifieds for like $600ish. Would be good considering it is super efficient and can make the most of the GK watts.
  7. The GK SBX series cabs are tight and warm. They sound great with the 1001 head. The GK RBH cabs are very bright and punchy. They're kind of at opposite ends so it depends on what your preference is on which would be better for you.
  8. fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    i second this..

i've got the 1001 on the 410sbx and the sound is very nice and warm.. crisp