Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab Recovering

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pre EB, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    I've got an old Hartke 410XL that my cat really really likes. She's liked it for years. Needless to say, it looks it. Has anybody here ever recovered a cab before? How difficult was it? It seems like a giant pain in the caboose, but I've kinda thought about selling it to help save for a five string. I know I won't get anything for it in it's current condition. Any tips before I just pull the carpet off and paint it Lime Green?;)
    I wish cab companies would quit using that crap!!! The only good thing is; she stays away from my newer stuff since the Hartke is still around!:D

2. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

The going thing I've heard about is spray-on truck bedliner. I've never used it, but people say its the best there is. I don't doubt it....the stuff is tougher than nails (literally).

3. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    done it, to a combo amp with carpet and a g**t*r head with vinyl. Not too bad, just have a very sharp knife. The corners were the trickiest. You have to notch the material to get it to lay into/across the cab corners correctly, usually covered by a metal or plastic corner anyway. I use contact cement on both parts, cut the material a bit oversize and trim it as I stick it down.
    Hope that helps.
    Kenny

4. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Thanks ya'll. I think I'm going to attempt to recover the cab with carpet. The spray-on stuff sounds inviting for my other ones even though they dion't need any work! Do you think it would change the sound in a negetive way of my Acme? How much does that sort of thing cost?