Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab recs for low G#

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tash, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    What kind of cabs would you guys recomend for a 5 string tuned to G#? Would you still go full range into say, a 212 and 115, or would a biamp setup with subwoofer be needed?

2. I'd say almost certainly a 1x18 would be needed for that low, but I may be wrong.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Having done that for a number of years, I'd reccommend convincing the band to tune up, and understand that EQing is a marvelous thing.

4. Why put him down for tuning low? If he wants to he can do, it's his choice, he asked a fair question, give him a fair answer.

5. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    My band plays in a B tuning and a G tuning, I use a large biamped rig with a 2x10 on top and 18 on the bottom.

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    He's not putting him down. He's raising a legitimate point.

7. if people can get away with tuning to drop C on a four string, there should be no comment based on the fact this is just adding one more string.

8. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    If your going for G# tunning, an 18 or a really good quality 15 for a tighter sound, and be prepared to be burried under the guitars anyways. Usually you will get a hint of the note and more of a rumble. I would personally go with the 2x12 and 15 or a lot of 10's to tighten that Ab up to the point where it would punch through the mix more.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yes, Nick, but you missed the part where I said I tuned to G for a number of years. Been there, done that. Had a .145" B string dropped to G through two Eden 410XLTs and a kilowatt of power. Sorted.

It may seem like a good idea, but it really isn't. The mix always sucks, tone is replaced by random flubbing of speakers, both bass and PA. Guitarists seem bent as hell on making basses obsolete, when in fact, there's no need to drop down to G, or further. It's a bass for a reason. A lot of guitar players take their favorite band's word for it, and drop tune pretty much out of the gate, never actually having tried EQing and mixing at such "piddly" tunings as Drop D, or even standard.

From personal exerience, I can tell you that with the proper amp settings, standard tuning can be just as brutal as anything else out there. Yes, I'm serious. You don't need to drop down to G, or B, or A, or anything. For crying out loud, we're still working on getting a B string to work right, why screw it all to hell by dropping it two full steps?

Am I saying don't? No. Am I saying think two, maybe three times about it before you do? Yeah.

10. Amen. Too many people think that tuning down will compensate for their lack of creativity.

On the other hand, there are great bands that tune really low.

11. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH

Amen to that. You can make a low E sound very deep if you dont overuse it.

12. If you truly need to get down to G# or below (F#) and still sound great you could always look at the AccuGroove Whappo Grande (21"). Pair that up with one of their full range cabinets and you would be in business.

Personally I have never found a need to get below low B... the recommendations to think seriously about doing this are all good, but that's IMHO.

13. I disagree. I've played a guitar for hours with an amp(yes i cna play guitar), and it doesn't sound anything like as heavy unless you drop it down to about C. Then it starts to get that speaker flab that makes it sound more 'thuddy'. That's why I think some supposedly 'heavy' bands that use standard tuning are lightweights. Deepness with EQ>Standard with EQ everytime, IMO.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm sorry. I guess I was wrong.

15. Craigle

Craigle "Careful with that joke, it's an antique!"

Mar 10, 2004
    New Orleans, Louisiana

LOL It's alright Brendan, at least you admit it. :D :D :bag:

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  17. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    yeah... I agree with the notion that tuning immensely low can be very useless. Some bands get away with it, but they hardly dip down to that low A (or wherever they're tuned at) very often. If your into stuff that utilized massively low root notes time and time again, you should just settle for something like Drop C or B, and pick up the rest by beefing up your EQ. That, or you need new equipment altogether.

But... If you are one of those who wish to dip down beyond Low B, I would think that BIAMPING is the way to go. Split the load up between an efficient 410 or 212 cab, and a 115 or 118 cab. Personally I'd go with a 410 and 118... but at the same time, I think anything lower than Bb is just a cry for attention.

Some of the heaviest and most aggressive bands in the history of music have sounded FEROCIOUS.... while tuned to E-Standard. Other bands have taken it a step farther with Drop tunings and Low B tunings. But... its kinda rare to hear someone wanna stretch it to A or Ab... although 1 or 2 have. In Flames.... (correct me if I'm wrong).

Bottom line: It's your choice if you wanna try that.... but its quite an investment. And if one day your guitar player says "I'm tuning back up to B!".... well... then you've got a big, sloppy 18" cab that you no longer need. So.... think hard.

18. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I play a 5 that's always down a 1/2 step, and often catch low Ab's and sometimes even F#'s. Dingwall through Bag End is what I use. That being said, I spent many, many years playing in Jazz Big Bands.. yea start yawning..I found out that when a #1 trumpet with killer chops(high range)wasn't available the same affect could be rendered by carefully dropping the other brass parts down. That not so high note would sound like Maynard or Dizzy was back there "$h!!ing the back wall". If you can make a note sound high, then you can make a note sound low. I have heard conventional 4 string players, through great EQ and pure skill, hit low notes that I swear I never heard before, so deep and meaningfull.
    I play low because the material I play is primarily based off of Hammond Organs, with a low C, that's "the sound", I get asked specifically for those notes and for what I do I feel I need it. To tune down just so you and guitar player(s) are playing in the same positions IMO is a waste of time, but I don't play alot of rock or metal any more..

19. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    actually i think truly brutal death metal sounds better in standard tuning (or drop d just so you can make those handy one finger power chords) when the string tension gets to sloppy i find it impossible to get tight distortion which is a key ingredient to a brutal sound. flubby distortion sounds like crap in a metal context. i think metallica tuned in standard back in the day and they had a pretty decent sound. the guys from korn use 7 strings and their sound is loose and flubby. plus you aren't really hearing the fundamental but rather the harmonic because the fundamental is below the frequency of what most guitar cabs can produce. (even dual rec cabs. especially dual rec cabs) guitar below a certain frequency kinda loses all definition. if you're into grunge or something i guess it would be cool but for metal i'll take tightness, definition, and talent. (as opposed to a "wall of mud" sound)