Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cab rewiring

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ChenNuts44, Mar 5, 2002.

1. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    how difficult (and expensive) would it be to rewire a peavey 4x10 tvx cab from 1/4 inch input to speakon and retain the ability to run in full range as well as in bi-amp mode (through the speakon)? would it be possible to keep the 1/4 inch input and tweeter attenuator for running in full range? any help would be appreciated.

2. You can get the dish to hold the jack(s) from PartsExpress.Com as well as the Speakon parts. It will cost you less than $20 for the parts including shipping.

Speakon 4 conductor jacks are perfect for biamping. The lows go into the first pair, the highs into the second pair. A switch is required if you want the cab to switch between bi-amp and full range mode.

I don't seen the TVX as being suitable for biamping at all because all four drivers are the same. Replacing the 1/4" phone jack with a Speakon would be an exercise in going to more expensive cables. IMO, leave well enough alone and play the cab. YMMV.

3. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    thanks for the response bgavin. i'm don't think we're talking about the same type of bi-amping

some extra helpful info: i'm running a gallien-krueger 700rb into the cab. the bi-amp function sends either the full range signal or the signal below 5khz (switchable) to the woofers from one power amp (380w @ 4ohms) while a separate power amp (50w @ 8ohms). drives the highs for the tweeter (signal above 5khz with a switchable 10khz cutoff).

other questions: since the signals are isolated, can i run a 4 ohm load to the woofers while simulateously running an 8 ohm load to the tweeter? the manual state that the tweeter's amp can will also run 75w @ 4 ohms. wouldn't the actual power delivered to the tweeter depend on it's impedance in this case? my knowledge on this specific issue is a little lacking. any added help and info would be appreciated

4. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Trip from GK here! You can run the woofs at 4 and the tweet at 8. You can even do the tweet at 4 if you choose. DO NOT use another cab with this setup. The impedance will drop to low. Make sure when you do any bypassing that the tweeter bulb fuse is not bypassed. I would prefer that you give our RBH cabs a listen before you tackle this mod. If finances are an issue, I really understand.

5. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Trip, I'm shocked that you stumbled upon this old thread. Budget is most certainly an issue here. I'm currently a first-year college student and cannot realistically afford to buy new gear. I actually love the sound coming out of the 700rb in full-range through the peavey 4x10tvx, especially with the tweeter rolled back or off. It's let me get nasty without cracking up in the high end. However, I figured than since I like to toy with electronics and just happen to have an extra small power amp incorporated into my head (which in theory let's me do what I want with my lows without distorting my sound from the tweeter, allowing me to add as much high end as is necessary without breaking up), I might as well try the mod. I could always go back to running full range, so it's not much of a gamble in my book. Also, though I currently reside in Ames, Iowa (Iowa State University), I've lived in Davenport, Iowa pretty much all of my life. No one in Davenport carries GK gear. No one . It presents a problem in trying out an RBH cab. While before I could not make a trip, now I simply no longer have the spare time to travel just to try new gear. It's not your fault that no one locally carries GK (at least in Davenport, haven't actually checked Ames yet, but I'm assuming for now), but it is simply another factor for the justification of the mod. Hell, maybe I just thought it would be cool. Wow, this got long. Oh, if you made it this far, I posted about a "special" boost circuit in another thread. Let's just say that I'm still dreaming about one. Take it easy- Tom

6. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    I believe I responded to your post about the boost circuit. I don't know where it is though. Let's just say I AGREE. We could use something like that. If you are to perform this mod, remember not to bypass the tweet's protection fuses, if the cab has them. I prowl talkbass quite a bit to see what folks are saying about us. It's good PR. I am probably going to become a supporting member soon as well. We'll see. Any questions or issues you may have you can mail me at hew86@aol.com. I got your back soldier!

7. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Thanks, it's good to know Trip.