Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab(s) to go with 400RB-lll

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ndjx, Jun 19, 2002.

1. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    OK I'm going to purchase a GK 400RB-lll within the next few weeks and I'm curious what cabs go best with this amp? I've tried the 410RBH but I don't wanna spend 900 bucks for a 4x10 and I don't even think the cab is worth that much money. I really want a 4x10 cab and at the most I wanna spend around $500-$600 or less if at all possible. I've always heard Hartke cabs were great with GK heads. I play a 410XL with an HA3500 at Mars and I really liked it however I prefer the GK400RB over it much more. Any suggestions? Experiences? Thanks.

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Shall I? Nah better not :D :D :D

3. OK, Fred. I guess it's my turn, then:

Buy TWO Avatar cabs. Either two B410's, or (my preference) a B410 and a B115. Your G-K 400RB-III WILL kick some SEVERE ass! Under $600. Shipped to your door.

JMO, of course. But I put my money where my mouth is. And I haven't heard anyone on either this forum or Harmony-Central talk about trashing them out after the purchase. Run a search on both boards. You'll see I'm right. That fact alone made me whip out the plastic.

Ronzo

4. I agree. Go with the Avatar cabs. That is what I am doing. If you need more information on Avatar cabs go here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=50044

I asked a million questions about Avatar cabs and if they were the right choice. I recieved a lot of useful information and from that I decided that i am going to go ahead and buy Avatar 4x10 and GK head.

In Fact the man just above, Ronzo, helped me make up my mind. Listen to him. He'll show you the light.

5. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Mars Music is dropping the GK brand and blowing out all remaining stock.The one near me has 2 410 RBH cabs for 599 each,as well as a 700rb head for 449 and a 210 700rb combo for 799.

6. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Please refrain from suggesting Avatar cabs in this thread. I've heard enough about them can anyone recommend some other brand cabs or what they use. Again BESIDES Avatar? Not saying they're bad cabs or anything but I wanna hear some advice on other companies.

7. Where are you located, Ray?

8. damn, too bad they don't have it online. I would have been all over that.

9. I hear good things about Hartke cabs such as 4.5XL. If you want a cab cheap i think that would be your best bet.

10. hey guys, i just thought everyone needs to hear more about avatar cabs. not that i own one. but we could all use more avatar in our lives. avatar avatar, where for art thou avatar? oh avatar, my love for you is endless dead avatar.

11. Quadzilla

Now that's funny!!!!! :D ;) :p

12. Thank you, Elwood, for serving me that warm cup of Shut The **** Up.

Point taken.

Ronzo

13. If you really insist on paying too much then i can wholeheartedly recommend mesa boogie cabs. I was gonna buy them b4 I found out about Ava....:D

14. Damn straight, resistance is futile you will be assimilated into the Avatar Armada.

15. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Ok here's a question for you Avatar people... who makes cabs BETTER than Avatar?

16. Quadzilla

There are quite a few of great ones out there (for lots more money), David Eden, EA, SWR, Ampeg. If you have a big wallet, the skies the limit. For the same money as Avatar there is not much out of the same quality.

Bottom line, if you have big bucks, go with Eden, etc.... If you are on a budget (like me) Avatar is prob your only bet.... Sorry to go on about Avatar again, but there is no competition in the sub-$250 range for a quality cab....

17. Ditto, except for the SWRs. I don't care for them very much. Bag End is good, too. I REALLY like EA.

Ronzo (at work)

18. Unless you go used there is nothing else in the 500-600 range that is better. Basically for a 410 everthing better is 699 and up.

Mesa 799
    Good Eden 999
    GK 799-899

The only 410 I think you could get in that range would be one of the lower end ampegs and are they better than Avatars?

19. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Cowtown,er...Houston,Texas:)

20. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    What about the SVT410 (HE or HLF)?